49°53' / 08°09'
Translation from Pinkas ha-kehilot Germanyah
Published by Yad Vashem
Published in Jerusalem, 1992
Project Coordinator and Translator
Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities, Germany
Volume 3, page 270, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, 1992
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
a village in the district of Mainz-Bingen
|Of them Jewish||By %|
In 1848 14 Jewish families lived in Nieder-Saulheim, and approximately in 1850 the synagogue was established. In 1861 community was comprised of 71 individuals, but since the end of the 19th century the number of Jews constantly decreased. As late as 1894 the new head of the community, Simon Nahman, was forced to take the outmoded and degrading 'Jews' Oath' before the head of the village, which according to the Constitution of the State of Hessen was revoked before the middle of the century. In 1912 the synagogue was renovated, and in 1926 a Jewish cemetery was opened in Nieder-Saulheim (in the past, the deceased were buried in Jugenheim, qv). The community belonged to the rabbinate of Alzey (qv).
On the eve of the civil new year of 1918 the windows of the synagogue were shattered.
In the elections of 19.6.1932 for the Landtag the Nazis won 68.7% of the inhabitants' votes (as opposed to 44% in all of Hessen).
In 1924 regular public prayer was no longer held. The last head of the community was Julius Vogel.
During the Nazi reign the community of Mainz (qv) provided the Jews of
Nieder-Saulheim with spiritual and material aid. In 1936, for example, it sent a cantor and congregants in order to allow public prayer. In August 1938 the Union of Jewish communities of Hessen asked the authorities to arrange providing food to the Jews of Nieder-Saulheim, after the local store owners refused to sell them provisions.
In November 1938 the local Jews decided to dismantle the community. In December 1938 a local farmer demanded to revoke the sale of the field of a local Jew to an inhabitant who was known as a 'friend of the Jews', and to transfer the field to his ownership.
In 1936 one Jew emigrated to the United States, and in the years 1936 to 1941 24 Jews moved to other cities within Germany.
After 1945 one Jewish woman lived in Nieder-Saulheim, apparently married to a non-Jew. Today the local council minds the Jewish cemetery (255 sq. m.)
Yizkor Book Project JewishGen Home Page
Copyright © 1999-2016 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 13 Dec 2006 by LA