« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »

Pictures of a Vanished World:
Jewish Life on the Eve of Destruction

Since 1850 Jews were integrated members of the urban society in Nuremberg. They both participated in the matters of the community and had their own infrastructure like the congregation with its facilities and various clubs. The Nuremberg Jews defined themselves as Germans of Mosaic religion, proud of their country, city and professional achievements. This dream was destroyed when their Christian neighbors got infected with the rabies of Nazism.

 

The Magen David Klaus Kirschbaum's Bar Mizwah 1934.
A symbol of the German-Jewish dream: The Magen David with an oak garland above the rising sun of hope and confidence over the silhouette of Nuremberg's imperial castle. Emblem of the Jewish sports club "Bar Kochba Nuernberg", 1927 (NCA E 10/41 no. 7) Klaus Kirschbaum's Bar Mizwah 1934. On the right Rabbi Dr. Heilbronner (NCA E 39 no.1283/4)

Advertisment for the Hotel and kosher restaurant Plaut at Hallplatz, 1927 Advertising sticker of the Jewish owned cannery and printing shop Keim & Co
Advertisment for the Hotel and kosher restaurant Plaut at Hallplatz, 1927. The text praises the modern interior of the restaurant and its first class cooking which was supervised by Nuremberg's orthodox Rabbi Dr. Klein (NCA E 10/41 no. 8) Advertising sticker of the Jewish owned cannery and printing shop Keim & Co. This manufacturer edited a series of labels showing various Nuremberg sites, in this case the synagogue near Pegnitz river (NCA A 29 no. 10)

Interior of the Jewelry store Emil Lorch & Co.

Interior of the Jewelry store Emil Lorch & Co. at the pittoresque medieval "Nassauer Haus". The enterprise was appointed to the Bavarian court before 1918. In 1938 the store had to be "aryanized". Its owner Fritz Lorch was killed by the Nazis in "Reichskristallnacht". His mother Paula, wife of the business' founder Emil Lorch, died in Theresienstadt concentration camp.



Fritz Lorch (1891 - 1938)



Summer sale 1930 in Nuremberg

Summer sale 1930 in Nuremberg: The shoe-shop "Prophet" owned by Arnold Weinstock (Josephsplatz 1). On the left down Kaiserstrasse the men's ready-made clothes shop "Gebrueder Marx" (NCA E 39 no. 1181/17)

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.

  Leaving Nuremberg     Yizkor Book Project     JewishGen Home Page


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
This web page created by Mike Kalt

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 21 June 2003 by LA