(Jewish Education and Training Charity)
Translated by Bill Leibner
The branch of the ORT organization in Sosnowiec was organized in 1935. The first management committee consisted of Attorney Z. Glanc (chairman), Dr. B. Branicki (vice-chairman), S. N. Langer (vice-chairman), Dr. K. Tropauer (treasurer), eng. S. Zysman (secretary).
During the first years of its existence, the local ORT organization concentrated its activities in the following areas:
At the beginning of 1938, A. Ostaszynski, a representative from the central ORT office arrived in Sosnowiec. He galvanized the branch into activity and organized a drive to raise money for the branch in Sosnowiec. The drive was very successful and received the support of many people in the city. A sum of 6,000 guilders was collected.
Following the successful drive, the local ORT branch called a general assembly where a permanent management committee was elected.The committee consisted of eng. S. Sztarke-Nachner (chairman), Dr. H. Liberman, and eng. L. Birman (vice-chairmen), Dr. K. Tropauer (treasurer), eng. B. Firstenberg (secretary), attorney Z. Glanc, P. Klepfisz, Z. Majerczyk, eng. B. Gincberg, eng. S. Zysman, J. Kuczynski, and A. Marianka.
The poor economic situation slowed the development of the branch activities.
Still the branch moved to a larger place where preparations were made to
install modern equipment and machinery for training purposes. Many new courses
were initiated such as radio-technician, leather, chauffeurs, and masters
courses for carpenters. Presently, the branch in Sosnowiec is planning to open
a three-year furniture course.
Translated by Bill Leibner
The initiator and founder of the Jewish hospital in Sosnowiec was Dr. Abram Perelman. With sizable contributions from the Kabak, Rajcher and Openhajm families, the hospital became a reality. Of course, the Jewish society also contributed money to the hospital fund. The groundbreaking ceremony took place on June 26th, 1910 and on May 30th, 1912 the hospital opened its doors. The hospital was primarily built with money given by the rich Jewish families to provide medical services to the Jewish masses. Paradoxically, during the first ten years of its existence, the majority of patients at the hospital were gentiles. Their numbers decreased with the development of the general hospital service in the city. Only then, did the objective become a reality. Still, people were admitted regardless of religion.
Financial difficulties plagued the hospital from the inception, except during
the war when it was under military control. The difficulties proved beyond
control when the hospital closed its doors on March 3rd 1925. It remained
closed until August 15th 1926; thus it was closed for 18 months.
|Dr. Abram Perelman (1870 - 1928)|
|Initiator and founder of the Jewish hospital in Sosnowiec.
Chairman of the Jewish community, member of the municipal
council, chairman of the Zionist organization, founder and
chairman of the Jewish high school, founder and chairman
of the Jewish doctors association in Zaglembia, member of
the executive Zionist council in Poland, and Zionist delegate
to the Zionist Congress of Minsk.
The hospital has the following sections: internal, surgical, gynecology and delivery and pediatrics. The hospital provides medical services not only to the residents of Sosnowiec, but to all the cities and villages in the area. The hospital has a kosher kitchen.
The need for such institution to the Jewish population is beyond words. Of
course, the financial expenses involved are enormous. The maintenance of the
building, medical facilities, equipment, machines, tools, etc.
large sums of money that the hospital meets only partially.
|The Jewish Hospital in Sosnowiec|
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
Sosnowiec, Poland Yizkor Book Project JewishGen Home Page
Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 26 Mar 2006 by OR