“Pamusis” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Pamūšis, Lithuania)

56° 6' / 23° 40'

Translation of the “Pamusis” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 495)

Pamusis, also Pamuse

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

In Yiddish, Pamush

A village on the right bank of the Musa River in northwestern Lithuania, in the Pakruojus county, Siauliai district, Samogitia province. The village is near the town of Pasvitinys. 9 km to the north of the village is the town of Lygumai. The Jewish settlement in Pamusis originated during the 18th century, when Jewish farmers settled there on government land. In 1897, Pamusis had 79 Jews, who made their living through agriculture. They cultivated approximately 500 acres. During WWI they were exiled to the interior of Russia. Only a few of them returned to the village after the war. In 1925, there were still some Jewish activities in the village, when “Shekalim” (tokens of membership in the Zionist organization) were distributed there for the 14th Zionist Congress. A few dozen Jewish farmers still lived in the village in 1937. The number of Jews in the village decreased gradually over the years, and only a few of them remained there when WWII broker out. One of the natives of Pamusis was the socialist, Pesakh Libman Hersh. In June, 1941, when Germany conquered Lithuania, the fate of the Jews of Pamusis was the same as the fate of the Jews in the surrounding areas.

Bibliography:

Yad Vashem Archives, files 55/1788, 55/1701, 13/15/131, Z-4/2548.
Kamzon, The Jews of Lithuania, p. 173.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 3 Sep 2011 by MGH