“Skirsnemune” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Skirsnemunė, Lithuania)

55° 6' / 22° 54'

Translation of the “Skirsnemune” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Pages 441)

Skirsnemune

In Yiddish, Skirstimon

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shimon Joffe

A town in the Raseiniai district, 8 km east of the county town Jurbarkas, on the right bank of the Neman River. A settlement of that name is mentioned in historic sources of 1431, when a cease fire agreement was signed in this place by the Lithuanians and the Crusader Order. In 1589 the town was granted the right to hold market days and 2 fairs per annum. In 1792 it received the Magdeburg privileges. In the second half of the 19th century the number of town residents increased from 497 in 1859 to 1409 in 1897 with 171 Jews among them. According to the census conducted during the period of Lithuanian independence (in 1923) it had 707 inhabitants including over 100 Jews. In 1935 58 voted in the elections to the 19th Zionist Congress. 34 voted for Mizrachi, and 24 for the Labor list. In 1938 the town still had some Jewish residents, among them a few artisans. In 1939 the town had 14 telephones, one belonging to the Jewish owner of a local restaurant.

After the German conquest of Lithuania, in the summer of 1941, the local Jews shared the fate of the Jews in the neighboring towns in the Reseiniai district in the autumn of 1941.

Bibliography:

Yad Vashem Archives, Jerusalem, Koniukhovsky collection 0-71, file 46.
Central Zionist Archives, Jerusalem, files 55/1788, 55/1701, Z-4/2548, 13/15/131.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 15 Oct 2011 by MGH