“Smalininkai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Lithuania)

55° 05' / 22° 35'

Translation of the “Smalininkai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Pages 437)

Smalininkai

In Yiddish, Smalinink

Written by Josef Rosin

Translated by Shimon Joffe

A town in the Papegiai district, in the Klaipeda province. Jews lived there already in the middle of the 19th century. The synagogue was erected in the year 1846.In the period when the province belonged to Lithuania, Jews lived there. Smalininkai is mentioned in the list of Jewish artisans in Lithuania for the year 1938. In 1939 it had 84 telephones, including 10 belonging to Jewish merchants and hotel owner. After the German annexation of the Klaipeda province in 1939, the Jews fled to Lithuania. Their fate was the same as that of the other Jews of the area. At the beginning of the nineties, a memorial was raised in the 'old cemetery' with the inscription, in Yiddish and Lithuanian; 'The Old Cemetery, in Holy Memory of the Deceased.'

Bibliography:

Yad Vashem Archives, 0-4/1.
YIVO - Lithuanian Communities' Collection: pages 63778-63786.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 18 Oct 2011 by MGH