“Luksiai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Lukšiai, Lithuania)

55° 57' / 23° 13'

Translation of the “Luksiai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Pages 348-349)

Luksiai

In Yiddish, Lukshy

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

A county town in western Lithuanina, on both sides of the Kaunas-Sakiai road, 8 km east of Sakiai, the district's city. The town originated as a village with the same name, whose lands belonged to the Great Prince of Lithuania since 1697. In 1827, Luksiai had 250 residents, and in 1884, 269. About a quarter of them were Jews who made their living from petty trade and labor. Until WWI, some of the Jews emigrated abroad or moved to other, larger cities in Lithuania.

According to the 1923 Lithuanian government census, Luksiai had 412 residents and among them were 42 Jews. In 1931, Jews owned in the town a cloth shop, a tavern, and a wool combing factory.

Only a few Jewish families remained in the town on the eve of WWII.

In the summer of 1941, after the Germans conquered Lithuania, the remaining Jews in the town were transferred to the Sakiai ghetto and were murdered together with the Jews of Sakiai on Saturday, September 13, 1941 (21 Elul, 5701).

After the war, a memorial was erected on the mass grave where the victims were murdered. The inscription on the monument is in Yiddish and reads: “In this mass grave are buried 4000 residents of Sakiai and the surrounding areas who were murdered while innocent of any crime between 1941 and 1944 by Nazi Fascists and Lithuanian bourgeoisie. The shining memory of the murdered victims will dwell to all eternity in the hearts of all the patriots of our country”.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 6 Jun 2011 by MGH