Please join us on Sunday February 22, 2015 at 1:30PM at the Pikesville Library to hear Dr. Ken Moss, the Felix Posen Associate Professor of Jewish History and Director, Stulman Program in Jewish Studies at Johns Hopkins University, who will speak on "The Jews of Eastern Europe in the Age of Mass Migration, 1881-1914."
He will offer a portrait of East European Jewish society and culture in a moment of rapid transition and transformation, with particular attention to:
- the everyday lives and life-courses of Jews against the backdrop of dramatic political and economic changes;
- the Jewish cultural geography of Eastern Europe
- Jews in the small towns and the big cities;
- Judaism and Jewish culture: continuities, contestations, fragmentation, reinvention
- Jews and political upheaval: imperial retrenchment, popular nationalism, and the question of Jewish fate 1881-1914
See our past programs here.
Do you have a genealogy brick wall that you'd like help breaking down? Click here to find out how to have our membership help.
JGS Maryland has many volunteer opportunities available! If you're interested
in getting involved behind the scenes, please be sure to let us know!
Please visit our programs
page for details on our 2013-2014
JGS Maryland has been reconstituted!
JGSMD had its initial meeting on Sunday August 18, 2013 to see if there was interest in the group's reconstituting. The turnout was overwhelming, with 31 people attending with only a few days' notice. Look forward to new programming over the next year!
Some of the attendees: