Windsor Street, London E1.
What was previously known
as Windsor Street is now numbers 121 to 125 Middlesex Street, which backs on to Catherine Wheel Alley. It consists of
a row of terraced buildings (about 150 feet long) on the western side of the northern end of
Middlesex Street, set back at little from the road and running in an
Street is made up of three sections: the southern section, previously
known as Petticoat Lane (still the name of the local street market),
which was renamed Middlesex Street in about 1830; the middle section,
which until the early 20th century was part of Sandy's Row; and the
northern section, consisting of Windsor Street and the adjacent areas
leading to Windgate Street (to the north), which until roadworks in the
early 20th century did not have direct access to Middlesex
The northern section of
Middlesex Street (as described above), including what was Windsor Street, is wholly within the City of London
(forming part of
the ward of Bishopsgate Ward Without), within the administrative
area of Greater London since 1965.
Until the abolition in 1908 of civil parishes in the
City, Windsor Street was within the parish of St. Botolph Without Bishopsgate.
The remainder of present-day Middlesex Street forms the boundary between
the City of London (Portsoken Ward, which was also formerly within the
parish of St. Botolph Without Bishopsgate), to the west, and the London
Borough of Tower Hamlets (formerly the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney
in the County of London), to the east. Until 1889, Middlesex Street had
formed the boundary between the City of London and the former County of
Middlesex, hence the name given to the street.