JCR-UK

The Sandys Row Synagogue

Middlesex Street, London E.1.

 

 

   
 


Page created: 30 August 2006
Latest revision or update: 18 December 2014



Views of the exterior and interior of the Sandys Row Synagogue
David Shulman 2007

Congregation Data

Name:

Sandys Row Synagogue (sometimes spelled Sandy's Row Synagogue)

Former Name

Sandys Row Associate Synagogue
Parliament Square Congregation (also known as the Dutch Congregation), which developed from
Hebrath Menahem Abelim Hesed Ve'Emeth
(Society of Kindness and Truth).

Address and Location:

Sandys Row (or Sandy's Row), corner Middlesex Street, Bishopsgate, London E1 7HW.

This was a converted French Chapel, acquired in 1870. The entrance was originally from the alley at the current back of the building, accessed from Artillery Passage which runs along the southern side of the building, and was moved to the Sandys Row side of the building in 1870, at the time of the consecration of the synagogue. The consecration ceremony was performed by the Haham (the head rabbi of the London's Spanish & Portuguese Jews Congregation), as the Chief Rabbi was unwilling to do so (as he was opposed to the establishment of small independent congregation close to the large established City synagogues).

(Location: Sandys Row is a short narrow street in London's East End, running north-south from Artillery Lane into the northern section of Middlesex Street, lying just to the east of Bishopsgate. It originally extended approximately a further 400 feet along what is now Middlesex Street.)

Former Address:

The congregation initially met in a room in White's Row, Spitalfields, holding festival services in Zetland Hall, Mansell Street.

(Location: White's Row (some 400 feet long) is approximately 300 feet to the east of Sandys Row, running west-east from Bell Lane to the junction of Toynbee Street (formerly Shepherd Street) with Commercial Street.)

Date Formed:

Founded by about 50 Dutch Jews in 1853 as a hebra, which was the first of its kind (although many more were to be founded in the East End during the latter part of the nineteenth century).  A hebra was initially more in the nature of a friendly and benefit society with a small synagogue attached.
The founding members agreed to provide the following:
(i) a benefit of ten shillings during Shiva (the seven day confined mourning period);
(ii) a minyan (the requisite prayer quorum of ten adult Jewish men) during the Shiva; and
(iii) payment for a Rabbi to speak speak at the morning and evening shiva prayers and during the Sabbath through the 30 day mourning period (the Shloshim).
Subsequently, the members decided to utilize the services of the Rabbi to give discourses (derashot) on Sabbath afternoons and, for this purpose the members initially met in the small room in White's Row.

Current Status:

Active

Ritual:

Ashkenazi Orthodox

Affiliation:

Currently unaffiliated, except for an affiliation to the West End Great Synagogue for burial rights.
One of the 16 congregations that attended the meeting of 16 October 1887 to form the Federation of Synagogues, and was the largest of the 21 or 22 original federated synagogues when the Federation was formed on 6 November 1887. It left the Federation in 1899.
It was then associated with the United Synagogue for burial rights, and formally became an Associate Synagogue of United Synagogues in 1922, but seceded in 1949.

Website:

http://www.sandysrow.org.uk

Membership Data:

1896  -   318 members (source)

1905  -   340 members (source)

1915  -   300 members (source)

Local Authority Districts:

The synagogue is on the eastern side of Sandys Row, which is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets (as is White's Row), which was created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London. (The boundary of "the City" of London runs down the centre of the road and accordingly the western side of Sandys Row is in the City of London.)

Previously, the eastern side of Sandys Row and White's Row were in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London (established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.

The eastern side of present-day Sandys Row was within the historic Liberty of the Old Artillery Ground and White's Row was within the civil parish of Spitalfields, both of which entities were in the former County of Middlesex until 1889. They were absorbed into the civil parish of Whitechapel in 1921, within the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney. The civil parish of Whitechapel was itself abolished in 1927, being absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's abolition in 1965).

From 1856 to 1900, the Liberty of the Old Artillery Ground  and the civil parish of Spitalfields were both constituents of the Whitechapel District.

Registration Districts:

From 1 July 1837 - Whitechapel
From 1 January 1926 - Stepney
From 1 January 1983 - Tower Hamlets  (which now holds the registers)

 


Search the All-UK Database

The records in the database specifically associated with the Sandys Row Synagogue include:

Marriages

1894-1930 (832 records).

For a list of other London records in the Database that may also include records associated with this congregation, click here.
 

Other Congregation Information


Street Directory of Synagogues in East End and City of London

Jewish Congregations of the London East End

Greater London home page

List of Federation of Synagogues Congregations

List of United Synagogue Congregations


Explanation of Terms Used

 

 
 

 

About JCR-UK   |   JCR-UK home page  |   Contact JCR-UK Webmaster

JGSGB  JewishGen



Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2014 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved