39 Dunk Street, Whitechapel, London E1
The whole neighbourhood
in which Dunk Street was situated,
in London's East End, has been redeveloped and the street no longer exists.
Dunk Street ran north some 500 feet from Old Montague Street to Hanbury
Street, about 800 feet east of Baker's Row (now the southern section of Vallance Road). It was parallel
with Great Garden Street (now known as Greatorex Street), to the West, and King
Edward Street (which also no longer exist), to the East.)
Glory of Israel and Sons of Klatsk Synagogue (incorporated between
1930 and 1934)
of 50½ Hanbury Street, London E1, from late 1920's. (Previously, the
was at this address)
(Note: There appears to have been another congregation known as the
Glory of Israel Chevra, which amalgamated with the
Gun Street Synagogue in 1907,
according to a report of 4 January 1907 in the Jewish Chronicle)
The locality is now in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Dunk Street was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) within the County of London (established
1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
Dunk Street was also
within the civil parish of Mile End New Town (established 1866), which was in the former County of Middlesex until 1889,
and which, from 1856 to
1900, was a constituent of the Whitechapel District.
The civil parish of
Mile End New Town was abolished in 1921, being absorbed
into the civil parish of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927
to be absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).