Probable Alternative Names:
Fashion Court Chevra or Fashion Court Synagogue
New Court Chevra, which according to V. D. Lipman's "Social
History of the Jews in England 1850-1950" (p74), was also known as
the Derech T'mima chevra.
|Foundation and Affiliation:
Affiliated with the Federation of Synagogues. (List of
The Fashion Court Chevra (founded in 1858) was listed by Geoffrey
Alderman in his history of "The Federation of Synagogues 1887-1987"
as one of the 16 synagogues that attended a meeting on 16 October 1887
to form the Federation.
(The Federation was actually formed on 6 November 1887 by 21 or 22 synagogues,
listed by V. D. Lipman in his "Social History of the Jews in England
1850-1950" (pp120-121), which list does not include a congregation
designated as the Fashion Court Chevra, but does include a
Synagogue, Fashion Street, and and a "Holy Calling
Benefit Society", New Street, Fashion Street", although these are
presumably different congregations.)
The Jewish Year Book 1896-1897 lists a Mikvah
Synagogue at New Court. (New Court appears to be in Fashion
Street) among a member of the Federation of Synagogues and it is
presumed that this congregation is the same congregation as is elsewhere described as being in Fashion