Mansell Street, London E1
Mansell Street, in
London's East End, runs south
some 1,000 feet from Aldgate High Street (opposite Middlesex Street). It
is parallel with Leman Street (500 feet to the east) and Minories (400
feet to the west).)
Note: there was a Mansell Street Synagogue (later
Buckle Street Synagogue), that
joined the Federation of Synagogues in 1887. However, according
Geoffrey Alderman's "The
Federation of Synagogues 1887-1987" it was not one of the
congregations founded prior to 1881, whereas this congregation was
already in existence by 1870.
The northern 400 feet of Mansell Street is in the City of London.
southern section of Mansell Street is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater
southern Mansell Street was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
It was also within the civil parish of Whitechapel (which was in the
former County of Middlesex until 1889) and which, from 1856 to 1900, was
a constituent of the Whitechapel District.
The civil parish of Whitechapel was abolished in 1927, being absorbed
into Stepney Borough parish, which itself was abolished in 1965.