Union Street, London E1.
Union Street (now renamed
Adler Street after the
former Chief Rabbi, Hermann Adler (1839-1911)), in London's East End, runs south, some 700
feet from Whitechapel High Road to Commercial Road, about 1,000 feet east of
The locality is now in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, Adler Street, formerly Union Street, was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) within the County of London (established
1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The southern 500 feet of Union (Adler) Street was in the civil parish of
Mile End Old Town, the
northern 200 feet being in the civil parish of Whitechapel. Both
civil parishes were in the
former County of Middlesex until 1889 and were abolished in 1927 by absorption into Stepney Borough
parish (until that parish's abolition in 1965).