262 Commercial Road, London E1.
Commercial Road is a
major road in London's East End. Forming part of the A13, it extends
east some two miles from Gardiners Corner (Aldgate East Underground
Station) in the west to the junction with Burdett Road, Limehouse, in
the east, where the road continues as the East India Dock Road.
The synagogue was on the
south side of Commercial Road, about
three-quarters of a mile east of Gardiners Corner.
Commercial Road is in the
London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created in 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Commercial Road was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
Commercial Road ran
through a number of civil parishes. It started in the east in the civil
parish of Whitechapel, then it formed the boundary between the civil parish of St George in the East
(in which was situated the Commercial Road Great Synagogue) and the civil parish of Mile End Old Town,
then moved fully into the civil parish of Mile End Old Town, then into
the civil parish of Ratcliff, and finally into the civil parish of Limehouse. The civil parish of Ratcliff was abolished in 1921, being
absorbed into Limehouse and the other civil parishes mentioned were abolished in 1927,
being absorbed into Stepney Borough parish,
which was abolished in 1965.