3 March 2014
Latest Revision or update: 5 March 2014
Selective Press Reports
relating to the Tredegar Jewish Community, Wales
3 January 1873 page 553
“The Jews of Tredegar in Monmouthshire, comprising about a dozen families, have
formed themselves into a congregation. Heretofore they attended places of
worship in neighbouring towns, though as these are at some distance from
Tredegar, the Tredegar Jews find it more convenient and suitable to have a place
of congregational meeting in their own town. The Rev. Mr. S. Shynman, formerly
minister of Merthyr Tydvil congregation, has been engaged (under the sanction of
the Chief Rabbi) to act as Shochet. He has also established a school which is,
we understand, attended by the children of the Tredegar congregation. Mr. Lewis
Lyons of this town has fitted up a portion of his house as a synagogue, with
accommodation for lady worshippers, and has presented the congregation with a
Scroll of the Law. Our informant speaks very gratefully of his efforts. We are
glad to learn that a brotherly feeling prevails in this little congregation. We
trust that feeling will be permanent,”
25 October 1878 page 7a
Services on High Festivals held at the Tredegar temporary synagogue
Three Jewish residents of Tredegar say they will provide a permanent place of
worship for the entire congregation, independent of extraneous aid.
25 March 1884 page 9
On Tuesday next the Rev Dr H.
Adler, Delegate Chief Rabbi, will consecrate the new synagogue at Tredegar
2 May 1884 page 7
‘Consecration of New Synagogue at Tredegar’.
25 January 1895 page 20
˜Much regret is felt by the Jews in Tredegar at the death in Naples, of their
townsman, Mr. Edward William Waites. He was a man of great piety and
benevolence. For the last seventeen or eighteen years since he left the Church
(he was for a long time a Churchwarden) Mr. Waites devoted his attention to
Jewish charities, to many of which he contributed privately. It is to Mr. Waites
that the Tredegar congregation is indebted for their handsome synagogue. Mr.
Waites held the Chief Rabbi in the highest esteem.”
20 November 1953 page 19
‘Synagogue to be sold. No minyan at Tredegar’.
The Montefiore Centenary Synagogue, Morgan Street, which was built in 1891[sic]
is to be sold. Since 1944 no minyan and no services and the synagogue has been
almost permanently closed.
There was a temporary synagogue at 18 Queen Street.
Tredegar Jewish Community & Congregation home page
Jewish Communities & Congregations in Wales