Created: 16 January 2012
Latest revision or update: 25 January 2012
Press Reports about the Newport Jewish
Community 1849 - 1872
Information within square brackets is from the compiler
Jewish Chronicle, 15 June 1849 , page 92
Donation to Swansea Hebrew Congregation. Samuel Polak, Newport Mon.£2.2.0
Jewish Chronicle, 17 October 1851
Sub to JC John M.Polak, Newport
Jewish Chronicle, 27 February 1852
Contribution to Merthyr Congregation. Jacob Druiff
Chronicle, 15 April 1859, page 1
The Members of the above small Congregation, having lately established a New
Synagogue, and have also obtained a piece of land for the purpose of a Burial
Ground, but as their means are also insufficient to complete their undertakings
they earnestly appeal to the religious feelings of their brethren in faith for
aid in their pious work.
Contributions will be thankfully received by Mr. A. Isaacs, President of the
Newport Congregation, and at the Jewish Chronicle offices, which will be
acknowledged in the Chronicle’.
[repeated 22 April 1859]
[amended 1 May 1859. Whole will not exceed £150. 7 contributions acknowledged.
From Manchester Old Synagogue, 4 from Birmingham, Plymouth, and Bristol]
[3 June 1859. Further contributions, 6 from Birmingham, 1 Pontypool, 1 London.]
Chronicle, 27 July 1860
Letter on religious topic from A. Harfeld, shohet of Newport.
Chronicle, 3 May 1861, page 4
Another letter from A. Harfield [sic] on religious topic.
24 January 1862, page 1
Marriage. ‘On the 15th inst., at the Jewish Synagogue, Newport, Monmouthshire,
by the Rev. A. Harfeld, assisted by the Rev.L.Harfeld, of Bath, Mr. Abraham
Freedman, second son of Mr. S. Freedman, to Isabella, only daughter of the Rev.
A. Harfeld, of the above place’.
Chronicle, 11 July 1862, page 4
Mention of letter from Rev A. Harfeld
Chronicle, 2 October 1863, page
Sub to JC, A. Lewis, Newport
Chronicle, 25 December 1863, page 4
Sub to JC, Mr J. Druff [sic]
Chronicle, 27 January 1865, page 6
‘THE HEBREW CONGREGATION AT NEWPORT. -
Our readers will remember that unfortunate differences have agitated and divided
the Hebrew congregation at Newport for a considerable time. Communications have
from time to time appeared in our own columns on the subject. It is gratifying
to announce that these difficulties are at an end. The opening of a new
synagogue in Llanarth Street, on the first day of the year, by the Rev. Louis
Harfeld, the new minister, was the happy occasion of reconciliation. The rev.
gentleman, who has only just entered upon his duties, and who has fortunately
succeeded in “pouring oil on the troubled waters,” addressed the congregation in
an eloquent and erudite discourse, taking his text from the 24th Psalm. The rev.
gentleman entered fully into the subject before him, and amplified his discourse
by frequent references to the original text. - Star of Gwent’
Chronicle, 10 February 1865, page 8
Appeal for funds to support a large family. The wife has recently given birth to
twins and there is a family of 8 children, the eldest being 14. Contributions to
Rev A. Barnett, New Synagogue House Great St Helen’s, London. Also Rev L.
Harfeld, Synagogue Chambers, Llanarth Street, Newport and Mr J. Druiff, 1 Temple
Jewish Chronicle, 13 October 1865, page 2[?]
Board of Deputies, Holy Land Relief Fund
Newport Mon, per Rev L. Harfeld
M. Manoy, Esq
John Isaacs, Esq
Abraham Isaacs, Esq
M. Goldstien, Esq
Joseph Abrahams, Esq
H. Abrahams, jnr
William Druiff, Esq
Jacob Isaacs, Esq
L. Jacobs, Esq
B. Cohen, Esq
M. Davies, Esq
S. Sebonah, Esq
-. Boas, Esq
-. Lewis, Esq
A. Davies, Esq
Jacob Druiff, Esq
Mrs Bloom, Pontispool [sic]
The Jewish Chronicle, 27 October 1865, page 5
Election of President, Morris Goldstein
Chronicle, 12 October 1866, page 7
Re-election of President, M. Goldstein
Chronicle, 9 November 1866
Board of Deputies. Dardanelles Relief Fund.
Newport, Mon. Hebrew Synagogue per Rev Lewis Harfeld (Sec) £2 2 0
Chronicle, 12 April 1867, page 3
Letter from L. Harfeld on religious topic
Chronicle, 30 August 1867, page 1
Board of Deputies. Fund re Conflagration in Brody
Newport Hebrew Congregation per Rev Louis Harfeld £4
Chronicle, 1 November 1867, page 6
The small congregation of Newport testified to its minister Rev L. Harfeld its
satisfaction. At conclusion of Simhat Torah, Mrs Druiff of Llanarth Street,
widow of William Druiff, invited the whole congregation to a splendid banquet in
order to present Mr Harfeld with a purse of gold. Speech by Jacob Druiff the
Chronicle, 4 June 1869, page 1
‘NEWPORT, (MON,) HEBREW CONGREGATON
NEW SYNAGOGUE APPEAL’
The congregation has been established ‘for a great number of years’, and divine
service has been conducted in a temporary room since its establishment. The
congregation has grown so rapidly that the synagogue, whose lease expires in a
few months, is totally inadequate. Although numerically large the congregation’s
expenses are defrayed by 7 paying members who have subscribed £200 for the new
synagogue. The only plot of ground suitable has been obtained with much
difficulty and as a contiguous spot is being used for building it is necessary o
commence at once. The lowest estimate for the synagogue and a house for the
Reader &c is £700. Contributions to A. Isaacs, President, 36 Commercial Road,
and A. Druiff, Treasurer, 41 Llanarth Street. [repeated almost weekly until
stone laying in May 1870, then advert changed but continued]
Chronicle, 4 June 1869, page 10
Editorial comment commends Newport appeal.
Chronicle, 20 November 1869, page 3
2 delegates from the committee for erection of synagogue in Newport were in
London soliciting subscriptions. The lease of a hired om has expired. The
community consists of many poor families. ‘They have a burial ground, preserved
[sic]. presented?] by Lord Tredegar’.
Chronicle, 29 April 1870, page 1
Board of Deputies. Jerusalem Relief Fund.
Newport, Mon., per A. Isaacs. £4
6 May 1870, page 4
Foundation stone of new synagogue laid on 3 May on a spot between Lewis Street
and Francis Street, Pillgwenlly. Ceremony performed by Mr Rittenberg, Jacob
Druiff and Abraham Isaacs. Last-named laid the stone and was presented with an
inscribed silver trowel. The building will have a centre and two wings. In the
centre an entrance through a T-shaped lobby, with stairs to a ladies’ gallery,
over the west end of the synagogue. The synagogue proper forms the right wing,
37 feet long and 22 feet wide. Accommodation for about 100 on ground floor and
10 [sic] in ladies‘ gallery. Interior lit by 4 round-headed windows in each of
the sides and a group of 4 smaller ones of similar character in the end. They
are to be filled by embossed and tinted glass. The sanctuary will be to the east
and will form a raised platform with an ornamental canopy over, having at the
back a recess for Scrolls of the Law. The left wing will be the minister’s
house. The style of the building will be round-arched Italian of simple
character, built of black rock with Bodmer brick moulded dressings. The whole
will cost £800. Architect B. Lawrence, Builder J. W. Chack.
Chronicle, 27 May 1870, page 1
Advert for funds, synagogue ‘now nearing completion’.
Chronicle, 7 October 1870, page 2
Letter from A. Druiff 41 Llanarth Street, correcting a note in previous week’s
JC, that the synagogue has been consecrated. Unable to complete building for the
holydays because of delay due to shortage of funds.
Chronicle, 14 October 1870, page 9
Synagogue well attended on Day of Atonement but correspondent speaks
unfavourably of manner in which prayers were read. Also the sermon was in a
‘mixture of three language’.
Chronicle, 28 October 1870, page 1
Advert. Wanted by the Newport, Mon. Hebrew Congregation. A gentleman to act as
Shohet, Hazan, and Teacher. £60 p.a. with house, rent &c free. Apply A. Isaacs,
President, 35 and 36 Commercial Street. [repeated 4 and 11 November 1870]
Chronicle, 28 October 1870, page 3
Letter from A. Druiff, Secretary to the Congregation. Re report in issue of 14
October about the minister, Mr Rittenberg’s speech. He says that the prayers
were read in a ’most devout and pleasing manner’. Lecture given by him was in
Hebrew since he is not at home in English. ’Evidently your correspondent was not
acquainted with Hebrew’.
Chronicle, 17 February 1871, page 1
List of contributions of building fund - first for some time. Include thanks to
Mr Joseph Raphael, Howard’s Hotel, St James’s Place, Aldgate, for his help.
Chronicle, 24 March 1871, page 10
The new synagogue was opened for divine worship on Wednesday last [22 March].
Crowded attendance with many Christians present. Performed by Rev Dr Hermann
Adler, minister of Bayswater Synagogue. Service was read by Rev H. D. Mars,
Minister of the Great Synagogue, Manchester, assisted by Revs Cohen, Goldreich
The ladies of the congregation have presented handsome curtains for the Ark. Mrs
Simon Hyam of London presented an embroidered canopy and a cover for the Reading
Chronicle, 31 March 1871, page 13
After the consecration. A banquet was held at the Victoria Hotel, presided over,
in the absence of the Mayor, by Mt J.B. Batchelor and vice-chairman Alderman
Lewis. Many Jews and Christians present. ‘After the cloth had been removed’
there were the loyal and other toasts.
Chronicle, 14 July 1871, page 9
Chief Rabbi’s Pastoral Visitation. He and Rev Dr Hermann Adler met at station by
minister, Rev Mr Goldreich, President A. Isaacs, and a large number of members.
Went to President’s house for dinner. Then to synagogue where an examination
took place. Expressed regret at their imperfect knowledge of Hebrew. The JC
correspondent comments that this is a small community burdened by heavy debt
therefore it is not in their power to provide the children with a school and
competent teachers. He wonders if some organisation could be arranged so that
funds could be annually raised by the congregations of the UK to provide them
with ’this desirable requirement’.
The evening service was read by Rev Mr Goldreich then a banquet at the
In the morning the Chief Rabbi visited the burial ground and was pleased with it
as well as with synagogue. Hoped they would be able to liquidate the debt
remaining on the synagogue so as to be able to provide a school.
Chronicle, 29 September 1871, page 10
Holiday services were well attended. Prayers by Rev Mr Goldreich assisted by Rev
Mr Abrahams of London. On Friday new Sepher Torah and most of congregation
invited to his residence. First and last verses were written by gentlemen
present. Then they proceeded with Sepher to the synagogue. ‘A lecture in German
was delivered by the Rev. Mr. Abrahams’.
Chronicle, 6 October 1871, page 13
Joseph Isaacs elected President, Mr Manoy Treasurer. Chatan Torah M. Manoy.
Chatan Breshit Jacob Druiff
Chronicle, 5 January 1872, page 16
Board of Deputies, Fund for Jews of Shiraz in Persia.
Newport Mon. per Joseph Isaacs, President, £3 5 0
Chronicle, 16 February 1872, page 4
Reference to Joseph M. Solomons as member for Newport
Chronicle, 1 March 1872, page 2
‘FOR SALE, a good Paying PAWNBROKING BUSINESS. Established 20 years. Apply to P.
Druiff, 41 Llanarth-street, Newport, Mon.’
Chronicle, 22 March 1872, page 16
Board of Deputies, Persia Famine Relief Fund
Newport Hebrew Congregation per Joseph Isaacs, President, 3rd collection £2 7 6
Chronicle, 26 April 1872, page 2
Board of Deputies. Secretary to Newport A.J. Jacobs
Chronicle, 3 May 1872, page 64
Funds for Norwich Synagogue. Mrs N. Manoy 10 6
Chronicle, 6 September 1872
Advert for a competent Reader and Shohet capable of instructing in Hebrew.
Salary £80 p.a. with house rent and gas free plus perquisites. Apply Joseph
Isaacs, President, 90 Dock Street.
Return to the
top of the page