12 Spital Street, London E1.
Until 1920's, at 46 Spital Street and earlier, in 1890's, at 44 Spital
(Location: Spital Street, in
London's East End, runs some 600 feet north-south from Buxton Street to
Hanbury Street, parallel with, and about 400 feet to the east of, the
central section of Brick Lane.)
Spital Street is now in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Spital Street was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The southern section of Spital Street (roughly from Pelham Street)
formed the boundary between the civil parish of Spitalfields, (on
the western side) and the civil parish of Mile End New Town (on
the eastern side), and the northern section of the street fell wholly
with the civil parish of Mile End New Town. Both these
civil parishes were in the former County of Middlesex until 1889 and,
from 1856 to 1900, each formed a constituent of the Whitechapel District.
In 1921, the civil parishes of Spitalfields and Mile End New Town were absorbed
into the civil parish of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927
on being absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).