(previously known as Bow Lane until late 1930's/early 1940's), Poplar,
London E.14. (The building was damaged
in German air raid in 1940)
Poplar lies in the east of the area known as London's East End, just to
the north of Canary Wharf, the old West India Docks and the Isle of Dogs
peninsula and south of
the area known as Bow.
Bazeley Road (formerly
Bow Lane) is a short road in central Poplar, running north-south from East India Dock Road
to Poplar High Street, just to the west of Coton Street.)
1 and 2 Montague Place
(later renamed Osborne Close), Poplar, London E.14 (until 1920's)
Previously at 239 East India Dock Road, London E.14 (address of
Limehouse & Poplar Synagogue).
Poplar is now in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, the locality was within the civil parish of Poplar (established in 1817), in the
former County of Middlesex. The parish became a constituent the newly-formed
Poplar District in 1856 (initially still within Middlesex, but from 1889
within the newly-formed County of London). In 1900, the District
became the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar, within the County of London.
Both these entities were abolished in
1965, as was the civil parish of Poplar (which had been enlarged in 1907
with the absorption of the civil parishes of Bow and Bromley, to include
the whole borough).