90 Commercial Road, London E1 (in about 1915)
(Note: According to Jewish Jew Book 1920, there was a Commercial Road
Synagogue at 351 Commercial Road, London E1 in about 1919. As this is
the address of
Congregation of Jacob Synagogue,
from at least 1921, it is presumed that the reference is to such
Commercial Road is a
major road in London's East End. Forming part of the A13, it extends
east some two miles from Gardiners Corner (Aldgate East Underground
Station) in the west to the junction with Burdett Road, Limehouse, in
the east, where the road continues as the East India Dock Road.
The synagogue would have
been on the south side of Commercial Road.
Does not appear in Jewish Year Books after about 1916,
but may have been succeeded by
Commercial Road Great
Synagogue (at 262 Commercial Road) or, more probably,
Road), although these may have been separate congregations.
Road is now in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, Commercial Road was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
the southern side of this section of Commercial Road was part of the civil parish of St George in the
East (abolished in 1927 to be absorbed into
Stepney Borough parish, which was abolished 1965).