Address and Location:
26 Buckle Street, Leman Street, London E1,
prior thereto, Mansell Street, Aldgate, London E1, from 1880's to early
(Apparently, in error, referred to in Geoffrey Alderman's history of "The
Federation of Synagogues 1887-1987" as the 'Marshall Street
Street runs east some 300 feet from Leman Street, in London's East End,
about 300 feet south of the junction of Whitechapel High Street and
Commercial Road. It is parallel with the former Little Alie Street
section of Alie Street (150 feet to the south).
Mansell Street is about 500 feet west of Buckle Street, and runs south
some 1,000 feet from Aldgate High Street (opposite Middlesex Street). It
is parallel with Leman Street (500 feet to the east) and Minories (400
feet to the west).
Buckle Street and the
southern section of Mansell Street are in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
The northern 400 feet of Mansell Street is in the City of London.
Buckle Street and southern Mansell Street were in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
They were also within the civil parish of Whitechapel (which was in the
former County of Middlesex until 1889) and which, from 1856 to 1900, was
a constituent of the Whitechapel District.
The civil parish of Whitechapel was abolished in 1927, being absorbed
into Stepney Borough parish, which itself was abolished in 1965.