Page created: 17 January 2012
Latest revision or update: 20 February 2013
Press Reports relating to the Wolverhampton Jewish Community
1850 - 1877
Information within square brackets is from the compiler
Jewish Chronicle, 18 December 1850, page 74
Meeting of Birmingham Hebrew Philanthropic Society. Reference to Rev M. Barnett
Chronicle, 13 June 1851, page 283
Lecture delivered in the synagogue by Rev J. Barnett
Chronicle, 22 August 1851, page 368
THE Congregation of Wolverhampton are in want of a person to act as Reader and
shohet [in Hebrew], and capable of instructing the Children in Hebrew and
English. The salary is £52 per annum, with a Residence (in which is the
Synagogue) free. Other privileges , etc., average from £15 to £20 per annum.
Apply, with Testimonials, etc., to Mr. D. L. Davies, Wolverhampton. No Cohen [in
Hebrew] need apply’
Chronicle, 7 August 1857
‘THE LEASE of the ROOM in which the Congregation of Wolverhampton have met for
Divine Service, for the space of ten years, having EXPIRED, the Member who are
very few in number, have with their limited means, purchased a plot of Freehold
Ground, for the purpose of erecting a Synagogue, and they now earnestly appeal
to all Jewish Congregations to assist them in carrying out a work which every
member of the House of Israel feels and believes to be the first sacred duty
incumbent upon them, to build a Temple devoted to the Great God of Israel in
their places of settlement’
Donations to be sent, inter alia, to Simon Aaron, Berry Street, Wolverhampton.
Chronicle, 7 May 1858,, page 168
Appeal repeated . Donations to I. Cohen, 130 Horsley Fields and E. Hart, Union
[Including list of donations to April 1858]
Jewish Chronicle, 4 June 1858, page 197
Laying of foundation stone on Tuesday in Friar [sic] Street
Chronicle, 18 June 1858, page 210
[Quoted from the Wolverhampton Journal]
The first Jew in Wolverhampton was Mr Harris, now dead, who came about 25 years
ago. Ten years ago there were scarcely ten [male?] Jews in the town. The first
Jew to die was Mr Aaron which resulted in need to have a burial ground. Land n
Green Lanes was presented by the Duke of Cleveland. A congregation was formed,
renting a room in a member’s house and a paid Reader was appointed. They moved
to a house in St James’s Square. More recently piece of land acquired in Frye
Chronicle, 15 April 1859, page 1
Advert for Reader and Shohet &c. Salary of £60. Application to Emanuel
Chronicle, 6 May 1859, page 1
Repeated. Apply to M. Gordon, President, Piper’s Row, Wolverhampton
[repeated 20 and 27 May and 3 June]
Chronicle, 28 October 1859, page 6
At a meeting held on 16th inst, Rev Menasseh Cohen who has resigned was
presented by the congregation with a silver chased snuff box bearing this
‘This testimonial was presented to the Rev. Menasseh Cohen by the Hebrew
congregation of Wolverhampton, as a token of respect for the interest he has
always taken for the benefit and welfare of its members during the seven years
he was their minister’.
Chronicle, 6 January 1860, page 5
[Quoting Lloyd’s Newspaper]
The partner of Mr Menasseh Cohen, the rabbi at Wolverhampton, has absconded with
a quantity of gold and silver watches, gold chains and jewellery to the value of
£400. ‘The fugitive is a Prussian’.
Chronicle, 9 May 1862, page 1
Advert for hazan, shohet and teacher. Salary £52. Apply to Jacob Cohen,
President, 4 Princes Street
Chronicle, 21 November 1862, page 4
Reference to Rev M. Spero, Wolverhampton
Chronicle, 19 December 1862, page 3.
Appeal for funds for a couple named Wolf in Wolverhampton. Both blind and in
desperate situation. Includes list of donations.
Chronicle, 4 September 1963, page 4
Board of Deputies. Wolverhampton synagogue is in arrears to the Board of
Jewish Chronicle, 23 October 1863, page 1
Board of Deputies’ Fund for Jews of Monastir. Contribution by Wolverhampton
Congregation per Jacob Cohen, Warden, £2.15.0
Chronicle, 26 August 1864, page 5
Board of Deputies. Letter from Wolverhampton ‘stating that the congregation was
unable to pay the share due it for the Board’.
Chronicle, 28 October 1864, page 7
Board of Deputies. Arrears from Wolverhampton are ‘£17 odd’.
Chronicle, 28 April 1865, page 5
On 30 March the president of the congregation, L. Benjamin, presented a Sepher
Torah to the congregation.
Chronicle, 8 September 1865, page 1
Board of Deputies’ Holy Land Relief Fund. Members of Wolverhampton Synagogue per
Lewis Benjamin, £6.15.0
Chronicle, 9 February 1866, page 8
‘WANTED, immediately for the Country, a respectable Jewish young woman, age from
20 to 25. Must be a good plain Cook, and assist in light house work. Apply to
Mrs. Benjamin, 12 and 13, Dudley-street, Wolverhampton’.
Chronicle, 13 December 1867, page 8
‘AN APPEAL TO THE BENEVOLENT
ON Friday, the 15th of November BARNARD ZUSMAN, a traveller, residing the last
ten years in Wolverhampton, and a respected member of the Jewish congregation of
that town, was robbed of every shilling he possessed and foully murdered. He has
left a widow in poor health, and a boy eleven years of age, utterly unprovided
for. It is desired to raise a sum of money, to place the poor woman in a
position to support herself and child.’
Chronicle, 11 June 1869, page 7
Pastoral visit of Chief Rabbi.
At Wolverhampton he examined the boys of the Jewish school and expressed
satisfaction. He urged the establishment of a girls’ school.
‘At a meeting subsequently held at the house of the president (Mr. Zusman),
resolutions were carried to give effect to these recommendations’.
Chronicle, 15 December 1871, page 5
Mr A. Davis recently visited the Wolverhampton Congregational School at the
invitation of Lewis Benjamin, the president, during an examination of the
pupils. He found the school was in a highly satisfactory condition under the
supervision of Mr Rudelsheim, the master. After the examination the president
presented books and money to the children.
Chronicle, 19 April 1872, page 44
A public examination of the children attending the Hebrew National Schools of
Wolverhampton. There was a large attendance including several ladies and
visitors. Among those present were Rev M. Cohen, Rev G. J. Emanuel, Minister of
Birmingham Congregation, M.S. Joseph, rep at the Board of Deputies for
Wolverhampton, Messrs Blanckensee and Lazarus, Wardens of Birmingham Synagogue.
Mr L. Benjamin the chair.
Rev Emanuel conducted the exam in Scripture, Hebrew reading and ‘the usual
English subjects’. Children acquitted themselves satisfactorily. ‘The master,
Mr. Rudelsheim, was much commended upon the satisfactory progress made by the
After the exam M.S. Joseph addressed the meeting. The success was surprising as
the schools had only been open for one year and praised the teachers. ’He
expressed the hope that Jewish gentlemen would ere long become members of School
Boards. Denominational schools were necessary, so that religion may be taught to
children without interfering with the religion of others’.
Chronicle, 26 April 1872, page 59
‘WANTED, two or three respectable young men as HAWKING TRAVELLERS for the
Jewellery and Furniture line with good references. Apply to H.Z., 63
Worcester-street, Wolverhampton’. [Herman Zusman] [Repeated 10 May 1872, page
Chronicle, 4 October 1872, page 371
First meeting of new society ‘having as it object the relief of the poor’. For
this purpose weekly subscriptions have been raised for the last 6 months and on
Sunday the members met to form a committee. The society already has 40
subscribers from 1d upwards. A. Benjamin elected president, S. Aaron Treasurer,
and Z. J. Rudelsheim Hon Sec. [?Asher Benjamin, son of Lewis]
Chronicle, 14 February 1873
Advert. Wanted by the Wolverhampton Hebrew Congregation Baal Korah, Hazan,
and Shohet [in Hebrew]. Age not to exceed 40 or 45. Salary £100 p.a. Apply to M.
Gordon, St George’s Parade, Wolverhampton.
Chronicle, 14 March 1873, page 733
‘REQUIRED a young lady. Accomplishments Music and Singing, also clever at her
needle. Address Mrs. L. Benjamin, 2. Waterloo-road, Wolverhampton’.
Chronicle, 9 May 1873, page 89
H. Zusman has been elected president and Mr Aurbach Treasurer of the
congregation. [Solomon Aurbach]
At meeting of the Wolverhampton Hebrew Schools M. Gordon elected President and
Mr M. Cohen, late minister of the congregation, Treasurer.
Chronicle, 30 May 1873, page 154
‘To Clothiers’ Assistants.- WANTED several first-class SALESMEN and WINDOW
DRESSERS. Good wage given to energetic men. - Apply L. Benjamin and Co., 12 and
13 Dudley-street, Wolverhampton’.
Chronicle, 15 August 1873, page 337
Annual public examination and distribution of prizes of the Wolverhampton Jewish
Schools, held at the Agricultural Hall, on 10th inst. In presence of most of
congregation. Rev G. J. Emanuel of Birmingham conducted the exam. ‘He questioned
the children in all the branches of elementary education, and they showed
surprising aptitude and intelligence. Their progress was very gratifying and
their proficiency in Hebrew as in the other subjects reflects great credit on
Mr. Rudelsheim, the only teacher. There are a number of girls and boys of
Chronicle, 22 August 1873
‘WANTED by the Wolverhampton Hebrew Congregation a competent HEBREW and ENGLISH
TEACHER. Salary £80 per annum. Applications to be made to the President M.
Gordon, Esq., Nieustadt House, Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton’. [repeated
frequently between 24.10.1873; and 28.11.1873]
Chronicle, 26 September 1873, page 435
New Year Services. At several synagogues gentlemen volunteered their services
gratuitously, eg, at Wolverhampton the former minister Rev M. Cohen ’reappeared
in his old post’.
Chronicle, 12 December 1873, page 614
Board of Deputies.
Application has been made to certify to the Registrar General Mr Zadock
Rudelsheim as Secretary for Marriages at Wolverhampton. Agreed.
2 January 1874
Jews’ Hospital election on 18 January. Appeal for votes for David Breslauer of
Wolverhampton whose parents have 8 children dependent on them. Commended by
Wardens and congregation of Wolverhampton and also M. S.Joseph. [repeated 9 and
Chronicle, 16 January 1874, page 704
Moses Cohen of Corporation Street, Wolverhampton, elected Registrar of the
congregation in the room of Mr Zolki resigned.
[Probably an error for Sheffield. In the 1871 Census there was a Moses Cohen
living in Corporation Street, Sheffield, and a
Zolki family were living in Sheffield.]
Chronicle, 17 April 1874, page 37
Marcus Gordon elected president and Henry Solomon Treasurer of the congregation.
Chronicle, 29 May 1874, page 140
Annual meeting of the Wolverhampton Hebrew Benevolent Society. A. Benjamin
re-elected President, S. Aaron Treasurer, E. Rudelsheim, Hon Sec.
Chronicle, 10 July 1874, page 238
Contributions to Bengal Famine Relief Fund, by congregations. Wolverhampton £2
Chronicle, 11 September 1874, page 374
Contribution to building new synagogue and school at Tredegar, M. Gordon,
Chronicle, 25 September 1874, page 410
Contribution to Merthyr Synagogue Fund, by M. Gordon, Wolverhampton
Chronicle, 2 October 1874
Schoolmaster wanted for the Wolverhampton Hebrew Schools. Salary £80 p.a. Apply
to H. Solomons, President, St James’s Square.
Chronicle, 2 October 1874, page 436
Owing to rapid increase of the Jewish community the need for a new and spacious
synagogue has been brought under notice during the past holydays. In admiration
of the manner in which Rev E. Phillips has discharged his duties as minister,
the ladies of the synagogue have presented him with a purse of money.
Chatan Torah, H. Solomon. Chatan Beresit, E. Hart
Chronicle, 14 May 1874, page 105
At a meeting of the subscribers to the Wolverhampton Jewish Schools Lewis
Benjamin and Menasseh Cohen were unanimously elected President, and Treasurer
and Secretary, respectively.
Chronicle, 23 July 1875, page 277
Wanted immediately a competent Hebrew and English Schoolmaster also to act as
Secretary. Salary £110 p.a. Applications to L. Benjamin, 2 Waterloo Road.
Chronicle, 15 October 1875, page 468
Mr Henry Philip Levy has been appointed Headmaster of the Wolverhampton Hebrew
Chronicle, 1 October 1875, page 426
Donation by Lewis Benjamin of £10 to Brighton New synagogue
Chronicle, 3 December 1875, page 581
Lecture by Mr Hutchinson at the Wolverhampton Free Library on ‘Modern Jews’. ‘He
spoke in highly flattering terms of the Jews’.
Chronicle, 10 December 1875, page 589
Letter from Z. J. Rudelsheim on a religious topic.
Chronicle, 28 January 1876, page 700
Henry Philip Levy, Head Master of the Wolverhampton Jewish Schools gave paper on
‘Holland and the Dutch’ on Saturday evening at the Wolverhampton Free Library.
He has been appointed Hebrew Master of the Old Hall College, Wellington,
Chronicle, 8 September 1876, page 354
Advert. Wanted, Chazan etc. for Wolverhampton congregation. ‘None need
apply unless having held a similar situation in England’.
Chronicle, 10 November 1876, page 503
Rev J. Greenberg of Portsea elected unanimously as minister of Wolverhampton.
Chronicle, 13 April 1877, page 13
Wanted by the Wolverhampton Hebrew Congregation a competent Hebrew and English
Return to the top of the page
Wolverhampton Congregation home page