Holy Law South Broughton Congregation

Prestwich, Greater Manchester




Page Created: 2 March 2002
Redesigned: 28 December 2011
Latest revision or update: 15 January 2015

The Holy Law Synagogue, Bury Old Road, Prestwich, c.1965

Congregation Data


Holy Law South Broughton Hebrew Congregation


Bury Old Road, Prestwich M25 0EX 

(The congregation is considered part of the "North Manchester" Jewish community.)

Current Status:



Formed in 1978 by the merger of:

Holy Law Hebrew Congregation
of Bury Old Road, Prestwich M25
(building opened and consecrated 1935,
extended 1961/2)
Temporary address for services (1933 to 1935) in basement of Odean Cinema, Bury New Road.

South Broughton Synagogue
of Sabrina Street,
Bury New Road,
Manchester 8

Previous, or alternative, names (from 1933):
Holy Law Synagogue;
Holy Law Synagogue and Beth Hamedrash

Previous name:
Broughton Synagogue (until 1920's)

In 1933, amalgamated with:
Sedgley Park Hebrew Congregation
of Bury Old Road, Prestwich M25.

From 1901 to 1933, known as Holy Law & Beth Aaron Synagogue and Beth Hamedrash,

Bank View, Red Bank, Cheetham, Manchester (was a converted church); (The Synagogue was also known as the Claff Shool, after Samuel Aaron Claff, who until 1904 owned the building, and from whom the name Beth Aaron originated.)


In 1901, the Holy Law Synagogue (apparently then known also as the Hebrew Holy Law Synagogue) amalgamated with the Beth Aaron Synagogue, which had been founded by 1898 (based upon date of first marriage in marriage register).


The Congregation was previously known as Chevra Torah (Society of the Holy Law)

Previously addresses (until 1901)

In a loft above a provender shop on Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester, and accordingly known as the "Hay Shop Shul" (1878 to about 1901);

Fernie Street (back of Lord Street), Manchester (1875 to 1878);

In a house in Park Place, at the bottom of Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester (1864 to 1875).

Founded as the Chevra Torah in 1864

(Note: The publication "Holy Law Congregation 100 Years 1865-1965" states on Page 8 that "the very first meeting of the Chevra took place on the first day of Chol Hamoed Succos 5625". This fell on 17 October 1864. Accordingly, the celebration of the centenary anniversary in 1965 was actually a year late.)

Founded in 1906 (source)


Ashkenazi Orthodox


A provincial synagogue under the aegis of the Chief Rabbi.



Membership Data:

1866 - 90 members -  Holy Law Synagogue (source)

1914 - 360 congregants -  Holy Law Synagogue (source)

1919 - 165 seatholders - Holy Law Synagogue (source)

1920 - 100 congregants -  Holy Law Synagogue (source)

1926 - 100 members -  Holy Law Synagogue (source)

1933 - 120 families - Holy Law Synagogue (source)

1935 - 250 families - Holy Law South Broughton Synagogue (source)

1999 - 800 members - Holy Law South Broughton Synagogue (source)

Local Authority


The congregation is situated in Prestwich, close to the boundary with Salford.

Since 1974, Prestwich has been part of the metropolitan borough of Bury, within the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester (which no longer has any administrative powers).

Previously, Prestwich was in the county of Lancashire, being organized as an urban district from 1889 to 1939, and a municipal borough until from 1939 to 1974.

(Cheetham and Bury New Road were in the county borough of Manchester, later the metropolitan borough of the City of Manchester) 

Marriage Certification:

Group for Certification:  Board of Deputies
Worship Number: 55415

Registration Districts:

for Cheetham and Bury New Road:

1 July 1837 - Manchester
1 January 1925 - Manchester North
1 April 1939 - Manchester

for Prestwich:

1 January 1925 - Manchester North
1 April 1934 - Heywood
1 April 1974 - Bury


Search the All-UK Database

The records in the database specifically associated with this congregation include:


Holy Law & Beth Aaron Synagogue, 1901-1932 (568 records);
South Broughton Synagogue, 1920-1938 (494 records).

For a list of other Manchester records in the Database that may also include records associated with this congregation, click here


On-Line Articles and Publications



Failsworth Cemetery
associated with
Holy Law South Broughton Congregation

Inscription of the foundation of the Ohel

Cemetery Layout (click on Plan to enlarge)


Other Congregation Information


Jewish Congregations in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury

Jewish Congregations in the City of Manchester (metropolitan borough)

Greater Manchester Jewish Community home page

Street Directory of Jewish Congregations in Greater Manchester

Jewish Communities of England home page

Explanations of Terms Used



About JCR-UK   |   JCR-UK home page  |   Contact JCR-UK Webmaster

JGSGB  JewishGen

Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.

Copyright © 2002 - 2015 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved