Page created: 12 January 2010
Latest revision or update: 5 January 2012
Press Reports on the Gateshead Jewish Community from 1856 - 1911
Chronicle, 18 January 1856, page 452
Subscriptions to JC. Mr Joseph, Grove House, Bensham, Gateshead, to
31 December 1855.
Jewish Chronicle, 24 January 1873 page, 605
Newcastle. Two congregations.
‘We first call upon our Newcastle brethren to unite in a thoroughly
Jewish spirit for the sake of their community and their Faith; and
then we shall call on our brethren everywhere to support the United
congregation of Newcastle and Gateshead in their efforts to erect a
Synagogue and a School’.
Jewish Chronicle, 18 March 1892, page 17
Board of Deputies authorised the President to certify to the
Registrar-General Mr A. Mosenthal as Secretary for Marriage
Registration purposes at Gateshead Synagogue, this being the first
Jewish Chronicle, 8 July 1892, page 16
The Chief Rabbi examined the Jewish children of Gateshead.
Jewish Chronicle, 28 April 1893, page 17
AGM of Gateshead Congregation. Elected for ensuing year: President,
K. Tenenbaum; Treasurer Harris Bell; Hon Sec Marcus Rosenthal
Jewish Chronicle, 26 June 1896, page 17
Board of Deputies. Letter from Registrar-General regarding an
irregular marriage at Gateshead. The parties had given notice to the
local registrar of intention to marriage which was conducted by an
official of a London chevra, but not registered by a certified
registrar for Jewish marriages. One of the parties had been
previously married and had obtained a get abroad but ad not been
divorced legally, thus a prosecution might result.
Resolved: to communicate with the parties to point out the
consequences of their action.
Jewish Chronicle, 17 November 1899, page 12
Newcastle. Rabbi Y.M. Sandelson of Newcastle and Gateshead had a
special service on 12 November. £5 collected for the Northumberland
and Tyneside Reservists’ Fund. Rev Mr Goldwater of Gateshead has
volunteered to collect weekly subscriptions in aid of the same fund.
Jewish Chronicle, 1 June 1900, page 31
Chief Rabbi’s Pastoral Tour. On Thursday 24 May arrived at
Newcastle. In the afternoon he visited Gateshead. He preached on
‘Congregational unity and peace’. ‘There had recently been a
secession from the congregation on the part of several families, and
these have acquired a room where they worship by themselves The
Chief Rabbi drew up an agreement which is to form the basis of a
reconciliation between the two bodies, and it is to be hoped that
this will result in a lasting peace among the members of this small
Jewish Chronicle, 27 December 1901, page 30
A Zionist reading room has been established at 47 Milling Street
under auspices of the local Zionist Society. Open very evening from
7 o’clock. Rev M. Rosenbaum of Newcastle lectured before the members
of the Society, presided over by Mr Kranz.
Jewish Chronicle, 10 January 1902, page 30
Rev L. Muscat of Sunderland delivered a lecture on Zionism to the
Gateshead Hebrew Literary Society
Jewish Chronicle, 4 July1902, page 24
Special service at the synagogue, Redheugh Bridge Road, and prayers
for the recovery of the King by Rev Goldwater.
Jewish Chronicle, 8 August 1902, page iv
Naturalisations in July
Eliezar Adler, 3 Elysium Lane, Gateshead
Jewish Chronicle, 10 October 1902, Page 28
Naturalisations in September
Harris Bell, 31 Askew Road, Gateshead
Jewish Chronicle, 6 March 1903, page 26
For several years the Jewish community of Gateshead has been split
into several sections each worshipping in small rooms, not suitable
for their purpose. Many of these dissensions, unable to provide for
the needs of a congregation, have had to depend on the neighbouring
congregation of Newcastle. Recent efforts by the Chief Rabbi and Rev
M. Rosenbaum of Newcastle to solve differences. Some success now
after meeting on Sunday presided over by Mr Lotinga, President of
Newcastle, whereby two parties have agreed to join forces and there
is hope that a third will join them. Mr Max Rubenstein of Dundalk,
Ireland, has promised a donation of £75 towards a building fund of
the synagogue it is proposed to erect. Rubenstein is visiting
relatives in Gateshead. His offer has been accepted and a donation
list has been opened, and upwards of £100 raised in addition to
There are about 70 families in Gateshead, mostly very poor.
Trustees: Mrs Rubenstein, Rev M. Rosenbaum, Messrs M. Lotinga, N.
Shurman, H. Shulman, J. Goldwater, E. Adler, and H. Bell.
Building Committee consists of the above Trustees plus G. Goldwater
and K. Tenenbaum.
Chairman of Committee, E. Adler, Treasurer and Hon Sec, Rev. M. R
osenbaum, Auditor Rev Y.M. Sandelson.
Jewish Chronicle, 7 August 1903, page 24
The amalgamation of the late Chevrah Agdath Achim and Chevrah
Kadisha into one body, henceforth called the Beth Hamedrash Chevrah
Kadishah was effected at a meeting on Sunday at 1 Milling Street.
Elected: President, J.Goldwater; Treasurer, M.L. Krawitz; Hon Sec M.
Erenstone; Committee, Y.M. Krantz, L. Zucker, H. Getzel, N. Taylor,
B. Halpern and L.Manelberg. Trustees, M. Krantz, E. Goldwater and L.
Jewish Chronicle, 20 May 1904, page 26
Chief Rabbi’s Pastoral Tour. Arrived at Gatehead where met by Rev L.
Matthews, President H.S. Myers and H. Bell. In the evening he
examined the Hebrew Classes and preached to a large congregation in
Yiddish. He exhorted the members to adopt the English mode of life
to cause chillul hashem
Jewish Chronicle, 26 May 1905, page 12
Board of Deputies. More on the irregular marriage.
The parties had correctly given notice of intention to marry.
Bride’s mother moved to a different place where the marriage took
place. The Marriage Acts say that the marriage must take place at
the location in the notice; if married at another place the marriage
was null and void. It was necessary to consider the matter in case
it was advisable for the couple to remarry to ensure the legitimacy
of any issue.
Jewish Chronicle, 23 June 1905, page 13
The Board of Deputies adhered to its decision not to appoint the
marriage secretary suggested by the congregation, the choice not
being approved by the Chief Rabbi.
Jewish Chronicle, 13 October 1905, page 31
At the Prest Street Synagogue services were conducted by Rev H.
Abrahams assisted by Mr M. Kranz who was Baal Tokeah.
Jewish Chronicle, 27 October 1905, page 24
Jacob Hahn, musical director of the Marlborough Theatre, Holloway,
is to take up a similar position at the New Theatre, Gateshead.
Jewish Chronicle, 22 December 1905, page 34
Mr M. Kranz of Gateshead gave a lecture at the Zionist Hall,
Liverpool. [This was soon after his daughter married a man from
Jewish Chronicle, 29 December 1905, page 30
Service at the Prest Street Synagogue was conducted by Rev B.
Abrahams. Rabbi M.J. Berman delivered a sermon.
Jewish Chronicle, 5 January 1906, page 34
Villiers Street Synagogue, Sunderland, had a Siyum. During supper
there were speeches by people including Rabbi Behrman of Gateshead.
Jewish Chronicle, 5 January 1906, page 35
Naturalisations in December
George Henry Myers, 60 Derwentwater, Gateshead.
Jewish Chronicle, 9 March 1906, page 40
Annual meeting of the congregation at the Synagogue Chambers, 79
Prest Street. H.S. Myers in the chair. Elected: President, M.L.
Krawitz; Treasurer, H.S. Myers; Hon Sec, J. Manof; Committee, H.
Barshatzky, M. Kranz, A. Beer, I. Cohen, M. Kronman, J. Cohen, H.
Mark. Auditors, N.H. Shulman an N. Taylor. Rev H. Abrahams, Minister
of the congregation was elected Secretary for Marriages.
Jewish Chronicle, 23 March 1906, page 16
Board of Deputies. Marriage Secretary (unnamed) approved
Jewish Chronicle, 18 May 1906, page 39
Last Sunday a Siyum of the Tractate Pesachim was held. Rabbi M.J.
Berman delivered the discourse. After supper addresses delivered by
J. Cohen of Sunderland, M. Saltman of South Shields, and E. Adler of
Jewish Chronicle, 27 July 1906, page 36 ‘The Children’s Corner’
Annie Bell of Gateshead wrote letter in Yiddish
Jewish Chronicle, 27 July 1906, page 38
Special meeting of Beth Hamedrash, Gateshead. K. Tenenbaum in chair.
Thanks were expressed to Dr T. Morrison Clayton Medical Office of
Health for Gateshead for his kind services to a poor Jewess who was
suffering from leprosy while inmate of the fever hospital. ‘Although
the greatest physicians in the North ordered a special diet, Dr.
Clayton permitted her to have kosher prepared food’.
Jewish Chronicle, 7 September 1906, page 32
Meeting of the Newcastle Jewish Travellers’ Association held on
Sunday in Gateshead, Max Erenstone in chair. Resolution passed
urging Jewish travellers in Gateshead to support the Association.
Jewish Chronicle, 28 September 1906, page 42
At Newcastle, services at the New Synagogue, Corporation Street, was
conducted by Rev L. Keppell assisted by a choir and Mr I Morreau of
Jewish Chronicle, 5 October 1906, page 31
Service at South Shields, St Thomas’s Hall, were conducted by Mr
Erenstone of Gateshead and Mr W. Samp of South Shields.
Jewish Chronicle, 12 October 1906, page 26
Annual meeting of Milling Stret Synagogue. Elected: President, M.
Erenstone; Treasurer, S. Summerfield; Hon Sec J Summerspitz;
Committee, B. Halperin, J. Goldwater, B. Goldwater, H. Getzels.
Jewish Chronicle, 12 October 1906, page 32
Gateshead (Beth Hamedrash)
Gateshead (Milling Street)
Gateshead (Prest Street)
Jewish Chronicle, 19 October 1906, page 28
Services were conducted at the Beth Hamedrash by E. Adler., at
Milling Stret by E. Goldwater, and at Prest Street by Rev H.
Jewish Chronicle, 19 October 1906, page 28
Gateshead (Beth Hamedrash)
Gateshead (Milling Street)
Gateshead (Prest Street)
Jewish Chronicle, 16 November 1906, page 36
Edinburgh. At meeting of the Dalry Congregation Rev H. Abrahams of
Gateshead was elected Hazan, Shohet, and Mohel.
Jewish Chronicle, 30 November 1906, page 35
Meeting of Milling Street synagogue. Rev E. Goldwater elected shohet.
Sunday last a Siyum was held at which Rabbi Berman preached. Supper
was provided by the Beth Hamedrash.
Jewish Chronicle, 21 December 1906, page 37
Rev M. Franklin of Newcastle and Rev M [Moses] Brown of Gateshead
assisted by a choir in the synagogue, Prest Street.
President M.L. Krawitz.
Jewish Chronicle, 25 January 1907, page 29
At the 3rd social evening of the series of the Newcastle Jewish
Literary and Social Society there was included a performance by the
Gateshead West End Musical Party.
Jewish Chronicle, 1 February 1907, page 21
Moses L. Krawitz has been appointed Marriage Secretary for
Jewish Chronicle, 12 April 1907, page 27
Annual meeting of the Hebrew Congregation at the Synagogue, Prest
Street. Elected: President, M.L. Krawitz; Treasurer, E.M.Stein,
Secretary, H. Levene; Committee, A. Beer, H. Barshatzky, J. Cohen,
Y.M. Kranz, M. Kranz, J. Levene, and H.S. Myers.
Jewish Chronicle, 17 May 1907, page 33
Arthur S. Joseph has been elected to represent Gateshead at the
Board of Deputies.
Jewish Chronicle, 7 June 1907, page 11
Letter from Akiba M. Bell, 56 Redheugh Terrace, replying to a
letter. ‘We Jews firmly believe that the miracles mentioned in the
Bible have happened’.
Jewish Chronicle, 20 September 1907, page 16
Inter alia, Gateshead has acquired an additional synagogue.
Jewish Chronicle, 21 February 1908, page 24
The Gateshead community has been granted burial facilities at the
new Newcastle burial ground, at North Gosforth.
Jewish Chronicle, 22 May 1908, page 6
D.L. Alexander announced at a Board of Deputies meeting tat e was
acting as an arbitrator in a dispute between two congregations at
Gateshead. The conflict has resulted in two County Court actions,
over the ownership of some synagogue appurtenances. There are many
petty squabbles in small, provincial communities. To some extent
they arise from their isolation, resulting in limited horizons and
the encouragement of personal element to assert itself. Alexander
proposes a Board of Arbitration but the Beth Din should act as Board
Jewish Chronicle, 26 June 1908, page 28
Siyum on Mestchet Chullim. Rabbi A. Zukmanski delivered address.
Supper provided by the Chevra Torah during which Rev E. Goldwater
sang Hebrew songs.
Jewish Chronicle, 10 July 1908, page 32
Meeting held at Redheugh Bridge Street Synagogue to organise a
Benevolent Loan Society. Mr A. Chalkin presided. Elected: President,
L. Balkind; Treasurer, H. Bell; Joint Secretaries, S. Guttentag and
M. Morein; Auditors, M. Krazil and H. Lipman.
Jewish Chronicle, 17 July 1908, page 28
Rabbi A. Zugmanski preached farewell sermon at Redheugh Bridge Road
Synagogue prior to his leaving for Poland.
Jewish Chronicle, 21 August 1908, page 24
At meeting of the Gateshead Hebrew Congregation Rabbi Samuel P.
Heilpern was elected to fill vacancy left by Rabbi Zugmanski. He had
officiated at the Austrian Synagogue, Manchester, since 1903.
Jewish Chronicle, 25 September 1908, page 39
The ladies of the United Hebrew Congregation have presented a red
plush marriage canopy, handsomely embroidered, to the Prest Street
Synagogue through the instrumentality of Mrs M.L. Krawitz, the
President’s wife, who collected the funds and made the chupah. Mr G.
Rothfield presented the poles on the occasion of his wedding.
Jewish Chronicle, 16 October 1908, page 3
Meeting presided over by Rev B.N.Michelson, to consider building a
new synagogue. Existing synagogues inconvenient.
Resolution passed unanimously: ‘That this meeting, representative of
the Jews of Gateshead, recognising that the places in this town
devoted to divine worship are incommodious and insufficient,
declares its belief that a suitable synagogue is an absolute
necessity for the preservation of Judaism in its midst; and that
those present bind themselves to utilise every means in their power
for the provision of such building’.
Messrs S. Brazill, M. Morein, C. Sugerman and K. Tenenbaum appointed
canvassers to collect money in Gateshead. J. Caplin appointed.
Secretary. Rev B. N. Michelson agreed to be Chairman, temporarily.
Jewish Chronicle, 30 October 1908, page 31
Special meeting of congregation held at the Redheugh Bridge Street
Synagogue, presided over by J. Goldwater. Resolved: to build and
register a place of worship and the services to be conducted in a
strict orthodox fashion. Building Committee elected: H. Bell, A.M.
Bell, I. Guttentag, B. Goldwater, H. Heilpern, B. Lipman, M.
Rosenthal. S. Guttentag (Hon ec), and the President, Treasurer, and
Sec of the Synagogue.
Jewish Chronicle, 11 December 1908, page 32
Rabbi J. Mendelson of Glasgow formerly of Gateshead paid a visit
last Saturday when he preached to a large congregation. On Sunday
morning he examine the Talmud Torah classes and expressed admiration
for their great progress. In the evening a Scroll of the Law was
dedicated and Rabbi Heilperin of Gateshead delivered a Talmudical
Jewish Chronicle, 15 January 1909, page 30
Yearly meeting of the Newcastle & Gateshead Jewish Travellers’ Union
was held at the Beth Hamedrash, 12 Villa Place. E. Morris presided.
Elected, President, M. Feldman; Vice-president, L. Turner;
Treasurer, M. Epstein; Sec, J. Landau; Trustees, E. Hiller and A.
Bromberger; Auditors, D. Margulies and D. Rubinstein. Presentation
to B. Tettenbaum in recognition of his services to the Union.
Jewish Chronicle, 22 January 1909, page 10
Board of Deputies. ‘It was reported that a synagogue had been
established at Gateshead which the Chief Rabbi had refused to
certify, and the congregation threatened to conduct illegal
marriages. It had been arranged that the marriage secretary of the
older synagogue would attend the other place of worship to certify
marriages when necessary’.
Jewish Chronicle, 23 April 1909, page 27
Annual meeting of the Redheugh Bridge Street Synagogue. Elected:
President, Z. Bernstone; Treasurer, S. Brazil; Secretary, A.M. Bell;
Hon Collector, M. Morein; Auditors, S. Guttentag and A.M. Adler; and
Jewish Chronicle, 21 May 1909, page 16
Distribution of prizes to pupils attending the Talmud Torah was held
at the Redheugh Bridge Street Synagogue. Rabbi S.P. Heilpern
presided who said there were 73 attending the classes and 19 of them
studied Talmud and Shulchan Orach.
Resolution of the Council of the Redheugh Bridge Road Synagogue,
moved by President, Z. Bernstone, congratulating the Chief Rabbi on
his 70th birthday.
A siyum was held at the Beth Hamedrash. Rabbi S.P. Heilpern
delivered a Talmudic discourse.
Jewish Chronicle, 8 October 1909, page 16
Jewish Chronicle, 10 January 1910, page 17
Under auspices of the Redheugh Bridge Road Synagogue a general
meeting was held to consider a scheme for building a new Beth
Hamedrash. Rabbi S.P,. Heilperin presided. E. Adler moved
resolution: ‘That this meeting finds the present place of worship
inadequate to accommodate all members and pledges itself to erect
and maintain a new Beth Hamedrash’.
Elected: Chair, S. Caplan; Treasurer, E. Adler; Hon Sec, S.
Guttentag; Asst Sec, M. Morein; Auditors, A.M. Adler and A.M. Bell;
and a Committee. Thanks to E. Adler for his generous offer to
present a freehold site for the new building.
Jewish Chronicle, 4 March 1910 page 12
Letter: ‘An Appeal for A Beth Hamedrash Building Fund’
Gateshead has Jewish ;population of about 100 families. They have a
Board of Guardians, a Benevolent Loan Society, a chevra kadisha. A
Talmud Study Circle meets every evening. There are 3 teachers and 56
children. For 15 years have felt want of a proper place of worship.
A few months ago one of our members offered to defray the cost f the
ground on which to build a Beth Hamedrash and a Mikva. We subscribed
£70 and have received £35 from people in Manchester through the
efforts of our Rav, Rabbi S.P. Heilperin. The cost of building will
be £700 and need another £300 to commence building.
(signed) Hirschell Heilperin, 7 Saltwell Placew, Gateshead.
Jewish Chronicle, 18 March 1910, page 12
Letter opposing previous letter. The writer had no authority to
write on behalf of the Gateshead Hebrew Congregation, but he has no
authority from ’our’ congregation, the only n recognised by the
Chief Rabbi and are represented at the Board of Deputies. For the
past few years the community has been divided into 2 congregations -
’often more’ -and the congregation that appeals for funds refused to
respond to the efforts of the Chief Rabbi and others to establish
peace and harmony. Last year DL. Alexander, President of the Board
of Deputies, visited and promised that if the two congregations
united he would support erecting a place of worship.
Heilperin, the letter-writer, has only loved in Gateshead for a
(signed) B. Halpern, President; H. Redman. Hon Sec; M.L. Krawitz,
Secretary for Marriages.
Jewish Chronicle, 9 June 1911, page 17
Annual meeting of the congregation was held at Prest Street
Synagogue. Elected: President, M. L. Krawitz; Treasurer, J.
Rothfield; Hon Sec, S. Zuckerman; and a Committee. A special School
Committee was also elected to supervise the Hebrew Classes.