Chronicle, 16 August 1895,
Reference to Julius Morris of Carlisle, late of Durham.
Chronicle, 22 September
1899, page 26
Services were held at the home of Mr Jacob Morris, 8 The Avenue. Prayers were
read by H. Tennenbaum of Newcastle and Jacob Morris. A. Mart of Spennymoor acted
as Baal Tokeah. ‘Besides all the Jewish inhabitants of this city there were many
visitors from the surrounding district’.
Chronicle, 12 October 1900,
Services were held at the home of Mr Jacob Morris, 8 The Avenue. Conducted by J.
Morris and S. Jaffé of Sunderland. A. Birk acted as Baal Tokeah. ‘Owing to a
large influx of visitors, services were also held in other premises, under the
presidency of Mr. E. Morris. Messrs. E. Richman and Morgenstern (Leeds)
conducted the services’.
Chronicle, 22 November
1901, page 34
AGM of congregation, held at the synagogue 11 John Street
Elected: President, E. Morris; Treasurer, S. Hermon; Hon Sec, B. Morris; Auditor
N. A. (sic) Birk.
Chronicle, 20 December
1901, page 21
Basle Zionist Congress
In English delegation Mr A. Vecht, Durham.
Chronicle, 4 April 1902,
Reference to Julius Berlin, 2 Palatine View, Durham.
Chronicle, 10 October 1902,
AGM of Durham Zionist Society. Mr A. Quart in chair. Elected: President, A.
Quart; Treasurer, S. Keidon; Secretary, B. Morris; Auditor, N. Shochet;
Collector, T, Brewer [Brewis?]; Committee, F. B. Phillips, N. Birk, E. Morris,
Chronicle, 24 October 1902,
AGM of Durham Literary Society. A. N. Birk in chair. Elected: President, A. N.
Birk; Treasurer, S. Keidan; Sec, B. Morris; Committee, B. Herman, E. Morris,
B.F. Phillips, A. Quart.
Chronicle, 31 October 1902,
First of the fortnightly lectures of the Zionist Association. By A. Quart, ’The
Early Settlement of the Jews in Palestine’.
Chronicle, 16 January 1903,
Rabbi Sandelson of Newcastle and Mr C. Cohen of Sunderland attended a siyum in
the Durham synagogue. ‘’Rabbi Sunderland … congratulated the Durham Congregation
on its laudable efforts to study the Talmud’.
Chronicle, 20 October 1903,
New Year etc services were held in the Shakespeare Hall, conducted by Messrs S.
Richman and J. Morris. J. Levy acted as Baal Tokeah.
Chronicle, 16 September
1904, page 27
Services were held at the synagogue, 11 John Street, conducted by S. Herman and
J. Morris. J. Levy and A. N. Birk were Baale Tokeah.
Chronicle, 25 February
1905, page 25
Jewish population of Durham 68.
Chronicle, 17 March 1905,
Last Sunday in the ‘synagogue committee room’ 11 John Street, Mr S. Kaidan was
presented with a silver cup on his approaching marriage. Mr . Morris said that
the congregation had been mainly founded through Kaidan’s efforts and he was a
also a founder of
the local Zionist Association. He also acted as shochet, gratuitously. Messrs
Ehrenberg, Phillips, Hermann, and Birk also spoke.
Chronicle, 27 October 1905,
Chatan Torah B. Morris. Chatan Bereshit B. Birk.
Chronicle, 10 November
1905, page 40
Meeting of congregation at 11 John Street. Elected: President, S. Kaidan;
Treasurer, B. Morris; Hon Sec, B. Birk; Committee J. Moris, N.A. (sic) Birk, J.
Chronicle, 24 November
1905, page 5
Annual meeting of Zionist Association at the synagogue. Resolution passed
expressing indignation at Russian atrocities. £7 collected.
Chronicle, 21 September
New Year Greetings, page VII -
Mr B. Birk, 8 The Avenue.
New Year Greetings, page XII -
Mr and Mrs B. Morris, 6 The Avenue.
Chronicle, 8 February 1907,
Annual meeting of the English Zionist Federation. Delegate: Miss R. Goldsmid,
Chronicle, 8 March 1907,
APPEAL FOR A PLACE OF WORSHIP IN DURHAM
The house which has been used for some years as a place of worship by the Jewish
residents of Durham will be closed shortly. In order to acquire a new house as a
place of worship, the sum of £200 IS REQUIRED. Not able to raise this
themselves, they appeal to their coreligionists in London and the Provinces for
help. Donations will be received and gratefully acknowledged by the Rev. A.A.
GREEN and the undersigned
Visiting Minister to the Durham Hebrew Congregation
9 Burlington Road, Sunderland.
President of the Durham Hebrew Congregation
8 The Avenue, Durham
[Repeated 15 March 1907 page 2; 22 March 1907 page 2]
Chronicle, 3 May 1907, page
Will of Mark Cohen of 6 Featherstone Street, Durham. Left £7,072 17s 6d. He is
chairman of the School Committee of the Jewish
Community. Died 29 January. Probate granted to widow Mrs Marian Cohen and Mr
Newman Richardson of The Oaks, Sunderland.
Chronicle, 15 January 1909,
Yesterday week the foundation stone of the synagogue in Laburnum Avenue was
Chair of Building Committee: - B. Morris.
Vice-President of Durham Congregation: C. Garstein
‘The members of the congregation and their guests then adjourned to the Miners’
Hall, where a reception was held’. £70 collected.
Chronicle, 5 February 1909,
Conference of English Zionist Federation. A. Birk, delegate of Durham Z.A.
Chronicle, 2 April 1909,
Special Zionist Conference. M. Leventhal, delegate of Durham Zionist Association
Chronicle, 11 June 1909,
Rev D. Lyons of North Shields conducted services in the new synagogue last
Chronicle, 20 August 1909,
Yesterday the new synagogue and classrooms of the Durham Hebrew Congregation
were consecrated and formally opened by Cllr
J. Moser, JP, of Bradford. ‘Hitherto, the congregation had worshipped in small
and most unsuitable premises, and at the instance of Mr. J. Morris, resident of
the Congregation, and one of the oldest Jewish inhabitants of the town, a
suitable site was acquired for the erection of a proper synagogue and
classrooms. C Building Committee, of which Mr. B. Morris became Chairman and
Hon. Secretary, had linerboard incessantly in promoting the success of the
scheme. The new synagogue is a bright building, situated in the best part of the
t own and was erected at a cost of £600. It has seating accommodation for 125’.
Chronicle, 27 August 1909,
Further report of opening.
Rev S. Franklin of Newcastle officiated. After the circuits the Rev Dr Salis
Daiches delivered an address as did Rabbi Y.M. Sandelson of Newcastle. After the
ceremony there was a reception at the Miners’ Hall, chairman B. Morris. He
proposed health of Councillor Moser. ‘Mr. Moser’s munificence had helped them to
proceed with their scheme’.
‘The Archdeacon of Durham, who was prevented from being present, sent a cordial
letter, in the course of which he wrote: “All lovers of humanity must thankfully
acknowledge their indebtedness to the Jewish nation, and all Christian people
must recognise the indebtedness of the church to the synagogue”. the Archdeacon
concluded his letter with a Hebrew blessing’.
Chronicle, 1 April 1910,
‘The Dispersion of the Ghetto’
Interview with J. E,. Blank. & years ago, Lord Swaythling called conference in
London and a Jewish Dispersion Committee formed. Durham was among places which
Jewish Chronicle, 15 October 1910, page 2
‘DURHAM HEBREW CONGREGATION WANTED, experienced Teacher to teach Hebrew and
religion, must be able to be able to teach in English. Applications must be sent
to the Hon. Secretary, S. Abrahams, 4, The Avenue, Durham’.
Chronicle, 1 November 1910,
Annual meeting of congregation.
S. Abrahams presided. Balance sheet presented. Income £82. Elected: President,
B. Morris; Treasurer, A. N. Birk; Hon Sec, N. Keidan.
Return to the top of the page
Durham Jewish Congregation home page