Sinai Synagogue was founded in 1944. For some time the community met in a
variety of halls and front rooms of private houses in the Chapeltown area of
Leeds, eventually moving proudly to its purpose-built modern synagogue on Roman
Avenue, Roundhay, in 1960. As the membership grew, this building was extended in
the mid 1980's and it now has a function hall, a library and classrooms as well
as the main synagogue.
In the early 1960's a plot of land for a cemetery was made available for the
Sinai (Reform) congregation at the Harehills Cemetery, Leeds which is managed by
Leeds City Council and this remains in use to this day.
The "virtual" cemetery provided here contains details of approximately 350
burials and has been assembled from digital photographs of the headstones
together with some additional information extracted from the few available
extant records. An aerial photograph of the cemetery is provided
here and a plan of the layout is provided
here. The plot numbers used in this database are as assigned in the plan;
the row identifiers have been assigned to aid in the location of burials.
Details of all burials in the Sinai Section of the Harehills Cemetery are
provided in this database, together with images of all legible and partially
legible headstones. It covers all burials and consecrations up to 30 June 2013.
Information for any
individual may be displayed by first selecting the appropriate surname letters
from the list below and then selecting the required name from its corresponding
drop-down list. Navigation to the next or previous burial plot in the
Section/Row is achieved by clicking the appropriate link on the individual
This database has been created through the efforts of Lee White and Alan Tobias.
It is made available here with permission of the
Leeds Community home page