2068 WOLVERTON D
BOCA RATON, FLORIDA 33434
The Kriegers immigrated from Myszyniec located in Ostrolenka in the district of Lomza gubernia. DOVBER ELIEZER (Barnett,Louis, Berel) born in 1850 in Poland was the son of MORDECHAI KRIEGER. Died in New Jersey in 1910 He married LEAH STEINFELDin 1870. Leah died in New Jersey in 1942.Dov Ber Eliezer immigrated in 1884. His wife Leah immigrated with their three children in 1886.
This information obtained from death certificates and Washington Cemetery.
The children of DOVBER ELIEZER and LEAH KRIEGER were:
4. MAX (PESACH) born in Lomza gubernia 12 September 1875.Max became a naturalized citizen 5 August 1900. He was listed a registered Republican in 1900. Died in Detroit, Mi in 1954. Buried in Clover Hill Ferndale, Mi
5. ISAAC born in Lomza gubernia in 1882.He attended City College. He lived in New Jersey where he was an optomitrist. Isaac died in 1965 and is buried in N.J.
6.ANNIE born in Lomza gubernia in 1882. In the 1900 Census she was listed as being employed as a clerk. The date of her death is yet unknown.
This information was obtained from the 1900 NEW YORK CITY CENSUS and Washington Cemetery
MAX KRIEGER married EVELYN SIMON 9 November 1909 in Detroit,Mi. at the home of the bride. Rabbi Hirschman officiated.
Max worked for Cooper Cap and was listed as a union organizer in 1909. Later he was a New York Life agent. Evelyn was a singer and a member of the Halevi Chorus. In 1904 she was a member of the Ben Hur Opera Company in New York. Their children were:
1.DAVID (Dovid) was born in Toronto in 1910 and named for his maternal grandfather. David was engaged to be married when he died in Detroit 19 September 1949. Buried in Clover Hill.
2.MILFORD (Moshe) born in Detroit 17 July 1911. Died in Detroit 20 October. 1996.Buried in Clover Hill.
3. FRANCES born in Toronto in 1913(?). Died in early childhood. Date yet unknown.
4. BYRON (DovBer Eliezer) born in Detroit in 1920 was named for his paternal grandfather. He was a member of the 1951 Pan American Games in Argentina US fencing team. 1952 Helsinki Olympic team and 1956 Melbourne Olympi team. In 1957 he competed in the Fifth Maccabiah in Israel winning first place in Sabre and Foil.He is a member of the Michigan Amateur Sports Hall of Fame;Wayne State Hall of Fame;Michigan Jewish Sorts Hall of Fame. Named in the top 20 greatest athletes in Detroit's 300 Year History.
He married JOCELYN (RUTH) MCAFEE, an actress/singer he met while training in NYC for the 1956 Olympics.They have six children: Evelyn(Chava)born 18 May 1959;Douglas Martin(Dovid)born 5 August 1961; Franklyn Maurice(Pesach)born 23 January 1963; Shoshana Yehudit born 17 February, 1971; Avrohom Schneur Zalman, born 2 October, 1973; Yaakov Meir born 8 October, 1976.
5. LAWRENCE born in Detroit 9 March 1923. He married RAY YANOVSKY.
He died in April 1983 in Detroit and is buried at Macpelah Cemetery with Ray.
ANNIE KRIEGER (Max's sister) married about 1911 and had two children: Herbert born in New Jersey 23 February 1912, and Joseph, born in New Jersey in 1913. She was widowed before 1930 and was living at that time with Ike Krieger and her mother Leah. The census notes that both Annie and her mother spoke Yiddish.
Annie Krieger information obtained from NEW JERSEY CENSUS 1930.
Just fill-out our form to enter our guestbook and let us know you were here. Thanks!