belarus_sig.jpg (14193 bytes)

Belarus SIG  All Belarus Database  Belarus Static Index  Grodno  Minsk  Mogilev  Vilna  Vitebsk  Belarus Resources  Online newsletter  Shtetls of Belarus  Archival records  Given names database  How to use this website  Current Projects  Membership  How to help  JewishGen-erosity  Contact us

The Holocaust in Belarus: Dyatlavo

by Leonid Smilovitsky
Dyatlavo, originally on pp 176
translation donated by Peter Duffy

The ghetto was setup in September 1941 (4,500 people).  Despite the confirmation of the regional committee of the Aid Commission of the USSR of the Dyatlaov Region (law of April 1, 1945) relating to the fact that Russians, Belarussians, Jews, Gypsies and Poles were subjected to repression by the Nazis in various ways, though insofar as the Jews were concerned, the Nazis had a "special approach".

The ghetto was cut off from the outside world, and any contact with non-Jews was prohibited.  Strict monitoring 24 hours a day was maintained, and the delivery of food products into the ghetto could incur the death penalty.  Prisoners were executed during two pogroms in December 1941 and July 1942 (3,500 people).  Of these, the last names of 1,601 could not be determined.  In total 4,716 people in the Dyatlavo regions perished between 1941 and 1944, and another 1,256 residents were sent off to perform labor in Germany.

SS Special Commander Gleiman, serviceman Glebka (German), Sergeant-Major Ubrich, Lieutenants Kichler, Ridel, and Braun, Sergeant-Major Egensohn, and Captains Malcher and Maidel took an active role in the murder of the peaceful population.  (The original of the source is kept in the State Archive of the Republic of Belarus, Fond 845, Inventory 1, File 6, List 37; Zone State Archive of Baranovich, Fond 616, Inventory 1, File 70, List 73; a copy is at the Yad Vashem archive, M-33/1159).

Author's notes:  Dyatlavo - a city in the Grodno oblast and center of the Dyatlavo Region (cincse 1965) located in the region of Dyatolovka, 165 kilomters from Grodno; from the end of the 15th century until the first half of the 16th century it was part of the Troksk province of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.  In 1566 it was a town in the Slonim region; from 1795 it was part of the Grodno gubernia of the Russian Empire.  In 1897 there were 3,033 Jews (out of 3,979 total population); in 1921-39 it was part of Poland, and since 1939 it is part of the Belarus SSR.  In the pre-war years, there were 2,375 Jews.  From June 30, 1941 to July 9, 1944, the town was occupied by the Germany army, who killed more than 4,716 people.  There is a mass grave for Soviet soldiers and partisans, a grave of victims of fascism.  In 1945 a home-made obelisk to the victims of the catastrophe was erected.

2003 Belarus SIG