Staroye Syelo before 1917


XIV-XV centuries

- Staroye Syelo was a possession of Slutsk dukes.

XVI century - 1820

- Staroye Syelo was a possession of Radzivill magnate family.


- the Orthodox Church of Godmother was constructed in Staroye Syelo.

Since 1793

- in Russian Empire.

Since 1801

- a village in Minsk District of Minsk Province.


- Staroye Syelo became a possession of Tyshkevich magnate family.

Mid. XIX century

- Staroye Syelo became a possession of Volodkovich noble family.


- the Orthodox Church of Godmother was renovated.

Vital Statistics


Number of Jews

Number of Non-Jews


Specific gravity in total population number

Late XVI century

Jewish population appeared



Total population

No info




Both sexes

7,8 %

Jewish Life

By 1900 there were no Jewish objects in Staroye Syelo.

Economical Review.

Traditional activities of local Jewish population were trade with timber, grain, and vodka. Since early time Ptych river was the main road for Staroye Syelo habitants.

During Russian principality, vodka trade was under state hard control and became less popular among Jewish businessmen. But Russian authorities did a lot to develop the region because of military and fiscal reasons mostly. First of all, old communications were reconstructed there:

- trade road Minsk - Rakov;

- trade road Koydanov - Zaslavl.

In XIX, because of development of the AllRussian Market, new types of communications appeared in the region. Since 1873 the closest railway and telegraph stations were in Ratomka (10 km).

In 1890 there were the following business enterprises in Staroye Syelo:

- 5 inns;

- 2 mills;

- a sawmill;

- a brewery.

Here is a list of major business and state enterprises of Staroye Syelo and the Subdistrict for 1902.

Name of owner

Type of business


Maze Abel son of Khaym

Glass factory


Goldin Abram-Shevel son of Khaym

Water mill


In 1905 and in 1917 there were 16 wooden houses in Staroye Syelo.

General cultural information.

In the late XIX - early XX century in Staroye Syelo there were:

- the Orthodox church of Godmother;

- a public primary school.

The closest doctor, post office and synagogue were in Zaslavl (14 km).


Copyright 1997-1998 Oleg Perzashkevich and Alexander Remenchik