Khmelyevka before 1917


XVI century

- Khmelyevka was founded as a private village in Minsk District of Minsk Province of the Great Lithuanian Princedom.

Since 1793

- Khmelyevka was in Russian Empire.


- Khmelyevka was a private village in Minsk District of Minsk Province.


- the railway station of Libava-Romny Railroad was constructed in Khmelyevka. Resident Jewish population appeared.

Vital Statistics


Number of Jews

Number of Non-Jews


Specific gravity in total population number


Jewish population appeared



Total population

No info




Both sexes

5,2 %

Jewish Life

In the beg. XX century in Khmelyevka there were no Jewish objects.

Economical Review.

Traditional activities of local population were agriculture and chopping of wood. Since early times Svisloch river was the main trade way for local habitants.

During Russian principality the authorities did a lot to develop the region because of military and fiscal reasons mostly. First of all, old communications were reconstructed there:

- trade road Minsk - Zaslavl - Rodoshkovichi.

In XIX, because of development of the AllRussian Market, new types of communications appeared in the region:

- Libava - Romny railroad (1873);

- telegraph road (1870s).

Since those events Khmelyevka became to develop rapidly and by the early XX century became a non-agricultural center of locality.

In 1905 there were 31 houses in Khmelyevka, in 1917 there were 35 ones.

Unfortunately, we have no information about big enough businesses in Khmelyevka before 1917.

General cultural information.

There were nothing special in Khmelyevka before 1917 but telegraph station. Closest doctor, synagogue and post office were in Zaslavl (3 km).


Copyright 1997-1998 Alexander Remenchik and Oleg Perzashkevich