Krasnoye Syelo before 1917


Since XV century

- Krasnoye Syelo was a private possession of local bishop of Roman Catholic Church in the Great Lithuanian Princedom.

1568 - 1775

- Krasnoye Syelo was a center of Subdistrict in Minsk Province of the Great Lithuanian Princedom. Jewish population appeared.

Since 1793

- Krasnoye Syelo was in Russian Empire.

Since 1801

- Krasnoye Syelo was a private possession of Volodkovich noble family in Minsk District of Minsk Province.

Vital Statistics.


Number of Jews

Number of Non-Jews


Specific gravity in total population number

Mid. XIX century

Jewish population appeared


about 220

Total population

No info



Total population

No info




Both sexes

11,3 %

Jewish Life.

In the beg. XX century in Krasnoye Syelo there were no praying houses or other Jewish objects.

Economical Review.

Traditional activities of local population were agriculture and trade with timber. Since early times Ratomka river was the main road and trade way for local habitants.

The village became to develop after it had become a center of Subdistrict in Minsk Province of the Great Lithuanian Princedom in mid. XVI century, when it was a possession of Roman Catholic bishop. That time resident Jewish population appeared there.

During Russian principality Russian authorities did a lot to develop the region because of military and fiscal reasons mostly. First of all, old communications were reconstructed there:

- post communications road Koydanov - Minsk;

- trade road Stankovo - Vyazyn - Staroye Syelo.

In XIX, because of development of the AllRussian Market, new types of communications appeared in the region. Since 1871 the closest railway and telegraph stations were in Fanipol (10 km).

As far as the village occurred out of new main economical directions, it fell into decay and never reached its former prosperity. Here is the table of changes of Krasnoye Syelo in the 2nd half of XIX - early XX century:

Date of record

Number of houses







It seems, that there were no any significant Jewish businesses in Krasnoye Syelo before 1917.

General cultural information.

By the end XIX - early XX century in Krasnoye Syelo there was a small Orthodox (former Roman Catholic) church and Catholic chapel. The closest doctor, post office and synagogue were in Koydanov (23 km).


Copyright 1997-1998 Grigory Zholnerkevich and Oleg Perzashkevich