Grichino before 1917


XVI century

- Grichino was a private village in the Great Lithuanian Princedom.

Since 1793

- Grichino was in Russian Empire.

Since 1801

- Grichino was a private possession of Boborykin noble family in Minsk District of Minsk Province.

Mid. XIX century

- Grichino became a possession of Count Chapsky family. Jewish population appeared.

Vital Statistics.


Number of Jews

Number of Non-Jews


Specific gravity in total population number

Mid. XIX century

Jewish population appeared



Total population

No info




Both sexes

2 %

Jewish Life.

In the beg. XX century in Grichino there were no praying houses or other Jewish objects.

Economical Review.

Traditional activities of local population were agriculture and trade with timber. The village became to develop only in mid. XIX century after Count Chapsky bought it from Boborykins. Since that time resident Jewish trading population appeared there.

During Russian principality Russian authorities did a lot to develop the region because of military and fiscal reasons mostly. First of all, old communications were reconstructed there:

- post communications road Koydanov - Minsk;

- trade road Novoselki - Vyazyn - Stankovo.

In XIX, because of development of the AllRussian Market, new types of communications appeared in the region. Since 1871 the closest railway and telegraph stations were in Fanipol (3 km).

In 1905 there were 88 houses in Grichino, in 1917 — 113 ones.

It seems, that there were no any significant Jewish businesses in Grichino before 1917.

General cultural information.

By the end XIX century in Grichino there were nothing special. The closest doctor and post office were in Koydanov (18 km) and the closest synagogue was in Samokhvalovichi (8 km).


Copyright 1997-1998 Oleg Perzashkevich and Alexander Remenchik