Byeloruchye before 1917


XVI century

- Byeloruchye was a private village in the Great Lithuanian Princedom.


- King of Rech Pospolitaya August III awarded Byeloruchye with a privillege to hold annual fair. Jewish population appeared.

Since 1793

- in Russian Empire.

Since 1801

- a shtetle in Minsk District of Minsk Province.

Vital Statistics


Number of Jews

Number of Non-Jews


Specific gravity in total population number

Late XVI century

Jewish population appeared



Total population

No info




Both sexes

31,9 %

Jewish Life

By 1900 there was 1 praying house in Byeloruchye.

Economical Review.

Traditional activities of local Jewish population were trade with timber, grain and vodka. Since early time Vyacha river was the main road for Byeloruchye habitants.

During Russian principality, vodka trade was under state hard control and became less popular among Jewish businessmen. But Russian authorities did a lot to develop the region because of military and fiscal reasons mostly. First of all, old communications were reconstructed there:

- trade road Minsk - Gayna.

In XIX, because of development of the AllRussian Market, new types of communications appeared in the region.

Since 1871 the closest railway station was in Minsk (25 km), the closest telegraph station and post office were in Ostroshitsky Gorodok (8 km).

We have no information about any big enough businesses in Byeloruchye before 1917.

General cultural information.

In beg. XX century in Byeloruchye there were:

- an Orthodox Church;

- a public primary school.

The closest doctor was in Minsk (26 km) and synagogue was in Ostroshitsky Gorodok (8 km).

Copyright 1997-1998 Oleg Perzashkevich and Grigory Zholnerkevich