CURRENT CZECH NAME: Janovice nad Úhlavou
OTHER NAMES/SPELLINGS: Janowitz an der Angel
Janovice is a small village in the Klatovy district of
Bohemia, Czech Republic. It is located at 49.21 longitude and
13.13 latitude. Janovice is 7 km SW of Klatovy and about 44
km SSW of Plzen.
(see Map -by Map24, then click on your browser's "Back" button to return to this page).
History of the Jews in Janovice by Karel Polak (originally in Czech, translated into English by Magda Simonovská) includes:
Many thanks to Joan
Pollak for providing the Austria-Czech SIG with a copy of this
The Janovice house in which
William Steiner lived in 1850
GENEALOGICAL RESOURCES: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Böhmens in Vergangenheit u. Gegenwart by Hugo Gold
The Jewish Cemetery of Janovice was founded in the early part of the 18th century. The oldest legible stone in the cemetery dates back to 1705. The Janovice Jewish cemetery was also used by the Jewish communities in Dlazov (Glosau) and Beharov (Wihorschau). Further information is available as part of the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies Cemetery Project under Janovice nad Úhlavou, Czech Republic.
SUBMITTER: Joan Pollak
Return to Austria-Czech SIG Homepage Home