CURRENT CZECH NAME: Malinec.
OTHER NAMES: Malinetz, Mallinetz.
LOCATION: The village of Malinec
is located approximately 35 km south of Plzen (14 km south-east of the
town of Prestice), in a hilly countryside.
HISTORY: In the region, tombstones
attest to the presence of Jews since at least the 15th Century, but
the first reports on the Jewish community in Malinec date from the mid-18th
Century (Jewish archives: book 70, page123 - Sarah LOWY married Daniel
WACHTEL in 1775 and they had a son Lowy in 1780). At that time, the
religious teacher of Malinec was Herman VOGEL. As in the neighbouring village
of Vlci, most Jews were traders and others were engaged in the cattle business
and farming. The 1837 census lists14 jewish families in 9 houses;
their names were KLEIN, LOCHNER and WACHTEL. In 1890, 6 families remained
in their own family houses. Malinec was part of the district of Prestice
and, in 1893, it was established as one of the seven communities of this
district, with 146 souls, a synagogue and a religious teacher. It
was the largest community of the district after the city of Prestice. Jews
moved to larger towns after 1893, especially to Svihov and Prestice, and
probably to Pilzen. Elder townspeople (interviewed in the year 2000) remember
the Jewish community that existed until the first half of the 20th Century
and describe them as "very merry people".
GENEALOGICAL RESOURCES: Information
can be found in the census for 1783 and 1793. Record books for Malinec
are located at the Czech State Archives in Prague, Statni istredni archiv,
tr. Milady Horokove 133, CZ-166 21 Praha 6, Czech Republic, tel/fax: +42
(2) 333-20274. Some information was found in the archives of the municipality
RESIDENTS AND DESCENDANTS:
The names associated with Malinec
were, as previously written, WACHTEL, LOCHNER, KLEIN and, additionally,
VOGEL, BLOCH, LEDR and REDERER. Today, Nancy Deutsch-Sinderbrand (in New
York) and George and Mary Mauksch (also in New York) are descendants of
two branches of the WACHTEL family from Malinec. Claude Wachtel, the author
of this article, is a descendant of Rosalie VOGEL, living in Malinec in
the 18th Century (the daughter of the religious teacher Herman VOGEL).
house of Lazar Wachtel, sold in 1870. The bill of sale, to
Pintir, was kept in the municipality of Kbel.
SYNAGOGUE: there was an old synagogue
from about the first half of the 19th Century, now replaced by a dwelling
site of the old synagogue (the white house, on the left). The yellow house,
on the right, was the Jewish butcher's house.
the community in Malinec used the Jewish cemeteries in Svihov (6 km SW).
CONTACTS: The village of Malinec
is now part of the municipality of Kbel. Town officials: Obecni urad Kbel,
c.p. 13, 334 01 Vlci, p. Prestice.
Die Juden und Judengemeinden
Bohmens, Hugo Gold Ed (1934), pp 342-347, 515-516; Jewish sights of Bohemia
and Moravia, Jiri Fiedler, Ed. Sefer, Prague 1991; archives of the obecny
urad in Kbel, personal visit in April 2000.
Claude Wachtel, 71 rue Didot
75014 Paris, France
Return to GemeindeView Home
Return to Austria-Czech SIG Homepage