CURRENT CZECH NAME: Vlci
OTHER NAMES: Wlci, Wolfling, Wölfling
LOCATION: Vlci is a very little village (no school, no post office), with an area of 401 ha, 30 km south of Plzen (10 km south of the town of Prestice), in a hilly countryside.
HISTORY: A report on a Jewish community dates from the mid-18th Century, but it's likely that the earliest Jewish community was much older. Two names of Jewish families are known: Wachtel and Glaser. Most Jews were traders, and some were occupied by farming, next to cattle business. Elder townspeople (asked in the year 2000) are well aware that there were Jewish families. Jews seem to have moved to other towns before the end of the 19th Century. The current town population is 72, with no Jews.
RESOURCES: The oldest Jewish registers available for this region are from
1832 (Svihov) and 1840 (Prestice). The catholic priest of the parish of
Kbel held the separate register for the Jews from circa 1802, but it is
not certain that this book contains all events. Birth, Death and Marriage
record books for Vlci are located at the Czech State Archives in Prague,
Statni istredni archiv, tr. Milady Horokove 133, CZ-166 21 Praha 6, Czech
Republic, tel/fax: +42 (2) 333-20274.
CEMETERIES: The Jewish community
in Vlci used the old Jewish cemetery in Svihov (6 km SW), although some
of Vlci's Jews are buried elsewhere.
CONTACTS: Town officials: Obecni urad Vlci, c.p. 13, 334 01 Vlci, p. Prestice.
SOURCES: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohmens, Hugo Gold Ed (1934), pp 342-347, 515-516; Jewish sights of Bohemia and Moravia, Jiri Fiedler, Ed. Sefer, Prague 1991; personal visit in April 2000.
Return to GemeindeView Home