of Jewish communities, Slovakia
43°48' / 17°08'
Translation of the
Gbely chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Slovakia
Edited by Yehoshua Robert Buchler and Ruth Shashak
Published by Yad Vashem
Published in Jerusalem, 2003
Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.
This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Slovakia: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Slovakia,
Edited by Yehoshua Robert Buchler and Ruth Shashak, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.
This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc.
and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and
destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied,
sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be
reserved by the copyright holder.
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
Translated by Yocheved Klausner
Gbely. A village about 7 Km. from Sastin. An independent Jewish community lived there in the past, with a synagogue, mikve [bathhouse for ritual bath] and cemetery. In 1869 the community numbered 183 souls and belonged to the Rabbinate of Holics (see entry). In the 20th century, most young people relocated to big cities and in 1920 only 30 persons remained in the community. After the war the Jews did not return to the village. The synagogue and the community building are still standing, deserted.
Yizkor Book Project
JewishGen Home Page
Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max G. Heffler
Copyright © 1999-2016 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 17 Sep 2016 by MGH