“Dorosauti”
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Romania, Volume 2

(Ukraine)

48°35' / 25°53'

Translation of “Dorosauti” chapter from Pinkas Hakehillot Romania

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1980


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Marc Goldberger

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Romania,
Volume II, page 457, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, 1980


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


Dorosauti

Translated by Michal Goldberger


Dorosauti – a village in Czernowitz district, 4 km from Vasilau (presently Vasil'ou, 48°36', 25°50') and 7 km from Zastavna (48°31', 25°51'). Today it is within the borders of the Ukraine.

Jewish Population

Year Number of Jews Percentage of Jews in
total population
1930 43 28 %



Before World War II

The Jews of Dorosauti were a branch of Zastavna community and prayed in the Vasilau synagogue. Most were merchants, primarily dealing in trading with farmers. Twenty merchants made their living working at a water mill, and one Jew owned the alcohol factory.

The rest of the population were Ukrainians and, before the Goga – Cuza government came to power (1937), there was a good relationship between the Jewish and Ukrainian residents.


Holocaust

When Bukowina was annexed to the U.S.S.R. (1940), the Russians came into the village. When the war between the U.S.S.R. and Romania started (June 1941), the Romanians came back. Local Jews were sent to Ocna (near the border), and there almost all of them perished, together with the Jews from Vasilau. The few who survived were deported to Transnistria.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Marc Goldberger
This web page created by Osnat Ramaty

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 12 Aug 2005 by LA