“Sadowne” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume VII
(Poland)

52°39' / 21°51'

Translation of “Sadowne” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem
 


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Frida Cielak

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland,
Volume VII, page 321, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 321]

Sadowne

Translated by Frida Cielak

Population Figures

YearGeneral
Population
Jews
189758997
1921970245

The Sadowne village lies just 4 km from the Bug River, 12 km from the town of Stoczek. It is speculated that the first Jews settled there during the second half of the 19th century. They engaged in trade and crafts. Initially, the Jews of Sadowne belonged to the Stoczek community, but after the First World War they were recognized as an independent community, to which the Jews from the other seven neighboring villages belonged as well. They established a Bet-Midrash and founded a branch of the Zionist Organization and a number of mutual aid associations: an interest-free-loan fund and a cooperative credit-fund for small merchants and craftsmen. In 1939 the community numbered 380 people. The Rabbi of Sadowne during the years 1924-1937 was R'Israel Yakov Topola.

In early September 1939 Sadowne was occupied by the Germans, and a unit of the Wehrmacht remained in the place and managed the village. A Judenrat was established, headed by a local Jew called Friedman, and Jews were sent to forced labor and were required to pay contributions to the Germans.

The situation of the Sadowne Jews worsened in the summer of 1941, with the German invasion of the Soviet-Union. Shortages and hunger worsened and diseases and epidemics spread among the Jews. In December 1941 the Germans deported all the local Jews, 265 persons, to Lochow and other surrounding localities, and from there they were sent in September 1942, to the Treblinka death camp.

Sources

The Yad Vashem Archives, Jerusalem JM/1836:  MI/3/1778 ;033/4010
The Central Zionist Archives in Jerusalem Z4/2064
Szczechura, pp. 39-51

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 16 Mar 2012 by MGH