"Slupca" - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume I
(Poland)

52°17' / 17°53'

Translation of the "Slupca" chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Morris Wirth

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland,
Volume I, page 165, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(page 165)

Slupca
District of Konin

Translated by Madeleine Okladek

Population Statistics
YearTotal
Population
Jewish
Population
18081,32712
18271,76816
18571,7460
18973,805751
19215,5341,426

Slupca received city status in 1290. The city was destroyed in the 14th century by Teutonic Knights and again in the middle of the 17th century during the Swedish invasion.

The first Jews arrived in Slupca at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1822, a harsh decree was issued by the Russian authorities on Jewish settlers that prohibited them from living in Slupca, because of the closeness to the borders. On the heels of this decree, they evacuated those same few Jews that were there before this decree.

The Jewish settlement was renewed in Slupca in 1862 after the revocation of all the prohibitions of the Polish kingdom. Towards the end of the 19th century the Jewish community grew very quickly. The main occupations of the Jews were crafts and trade.

The Jewish community was founded and the synagogue was built at the beginning of the 1870's. Rabbi Boruch Boruszak was appointed as rabbi in 1869. In 1875, Rabbi Abraham Appel filled the position. Rabbi Boruch Katz sat at that chair in 1885. Then, in the beginning of the 20th century, Rabbi Yitzhak Meir Herbsztein held the position. Rabbi Abraham Josef Lewi was appointed in the 1920s.

Organized Zionist groups already existed in Slupca at the beginning of the 20th century. Many branches were organized by 1918. Between the two World Wars the following Zionist parties were very active: General Zionists (Al HaMishmar), Mizrachi, Poalei Zion and the Revisionists. The following voted for the Zionist Congress: 126 in 1933, 110 in 1937 and 145 in 1939.

In the years between the two world wars, Jewish merchants suffered from Polish anti-Semitic incidents. At an emergency conference in Kalisz in 1936, the representative of the Slupca community pointed out the growing economic impoverishment of the Jews of Slupca. Because of their worsening situation, most of the Jews left their homes in Slupca to live in the centers of larger cities.

With the capture of the town by the Germans in September 1939, Jews were forced to provide people for forced labor and to pay a contribution. Also, the freedom of movement to go outside the town was limited.

By Februay, 1940, several hundred of the Jews of Slupca concentrated in Slupca were exiled to Tarnow and Bochnia, that was in the General Government.

The synagogue was set on fire and the books of the Torah were burned in the beginning of July 1940. From July 17-18, 1941, all the Jews were expelled to nearby Rzgow. This was a rural ghetto with Jews from the District of Konin.

In October 1941, all the Jews in Rzgow, among them the remaining Jewish community of Slupca, were transported to the forest of Kazimierz Biskupi and murdered.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
Contact person for this translation Morris Wirth
This web page created by Carol Monosson Edan

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 7 Sep 2005 by MGH