“Pociuneliai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Pociūnėliai, Lithuania)

55° 34' / 23° 52'

Translation of the “Pociuneliai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 500)

Pociuneliai or Percineliai

In Yiddish, Patsinel

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

A big village on the banks of the Garduve River in the Gudziunai County, in the district of Kedainiai in central Lithuania, 12 km southeast of Baisogala. In 1859, the village had 10 houses with 70 residents. Around that time, ome Jews accepted an invitation from Baron Yagman to come and settle in his lands in Pociuneliai. They built a synagogue in the village and where they had a “Shokhet” (slaughterer) and “Melamed” (teacher). Some of the older children continued their studies in Kedainiai. One of this small community's Rabbis was Rabbi Eliezer-Moshe-Tsvi Lava, who took office in the rabbinate of the village in 1891. During the high holidays and general holidays, the Jews of Pociuneliai hosted the local residents from the surrounding areas. Most of the Jews of Pociuneliai left their town during WWI.

During the period of Independent Lithuania, only 10 Jewish families (out of the 230 residents who were counted in the village in 1923) remained in the village. The Jews made their living from agriculture and shop keeping. A modern Jewish community in Pociuneliai was established around the same time and its people elected democratically a 5 member community council. Of the 30 Jewish residents of Pociuneliai who participated in the 19th Zionist Congress elections, 23 voted for the Grossmanists, 6 for the Mizrakhi, and 1 for Eretz-Yisrael HaOveded. In 1939, Pociuneliai had 10 private telephones, of which 2 belonged to Jews (the merchant Hirsh Glick and Berl Gordon, who had a haberdashery and a fabric store). One of the town's natives was Josef-Zelig Glick (1852-1922), an author and journalist who wrote in Yiddish and Hebrew, and who lived most of his life in Pittsburgh, USA.

After Germany conquered Lithuania, the fate of the Jews of Pociuneliai was the same as the fate of the Jews in the Kedainiai district: they were all murdered by armed Lithuanians during the autumn of 1941.

Bibliography:

Central Zionist Archives, Jerusalem, files 55/1788, 55/1701, 13/15/131, Z-4/2548.
YIVO - Lithuanian Communities' Collection: file 1562.
Gotlieb, Ohalei Shem, p. 147.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Jason Hallgarten

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 29 Oct 2011 by LA