“Klovainiai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Lithuania)

55° 56' / 23° 57'

Translation of the “Klovainiai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Dov Levin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vahem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 590)

Klovainiai (Lith.)

In Yiddish, Klovyan

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shimon Joffe

A county town in the Siauliai district in northern Lithuania, 8 km. south east of Pakruojus. In 1897, the town, together with the estate of the same name, had 726 inhabitants. In the census of 1923, conducted by the independent Lithuanian government, 773 inhabitants were counted, including 21 Jews. They lived off petty trade and farming. In social matters and religion, they depended on the Pakruojo community. When Klovainiai was annexed to the Soviet Union in June 1940, the town had 4 Jewish families. In the very first days after the outbreak of war between Germany and the Soviet Union, Lithuanian nationalists, who called themselves partisans, shot a Jewish woman and her daughter, on the pretext that these had assisted soldiers of the Red Army. Later, they murdered another Jew. A few Jews attempted to find shelter with local peasants and in the neighboring town of Joniskis, but were unsuccessful. All of the town's Jews, 13 souls, except for Sheine Lazar of the Dermeik family, who remained in the Siauliai ghetto (and perhaps another person), perished at the hands of the Lithuanians. Their houses and livestock were plundered by the neighboring peasants. The names of the murderers of the Jews are preserved in the Yad Vashem archives

Bibliography:

Yad Vashem Archives, Koniukhovsky collection 0-71, file 108.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 11 Jul 2011 by MGH