“Mauruciai” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Mauručiai, Lithuania)

54° 47' / 23° 45'

Translation of the “Mauruciai” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Page 365)

Mauruciai

In Yiddish, Mavrutsh

Written by Josef Rosin

Translated by Shimon Joffe

A town in the Marijampole district.

Year General
Population
Jews
1827 97 ..
1884 266 ..
1940 .. A few families

Mauruciai lies in the Veiveriai county, near the Kaunas - Kybartai railway line, some 20 km. north east of the railway junction Kazlu-Ruda. The road Kaunas-Marijampole traverses the town. The town expanded after the laying of the railway line in the eighties of the nineteenth century. Between the years 1795-1815 the region, including the town, belonged to Prussia. And after 1815-it came under Russian rule. In 1866 the town was included in the Suwalki province.

There are no precise statistics as to the number of Jews who lived in the town during the period of Lithuanian independence (1918-1940). Before the Second World War, a few Jewish families lived in the town.

According to a survey conducted by the Lithuanian government in 1931, the local Jews owned 2 heating materials and wood shops, 2 sawing mills, a flour mill, a grocery and a tavern.

After the annexation of Lithuania to the Soviet Union in June 1940, the Jewish owned shops and plants were nationalized.

After the German army conquest of Lithuania in June 1941, the local Lithuanians began to harass the Jews. The killing of the Jews began, it appears, on August 28, 1941. A few days earlier, the Jewish men from Mauruciai and neighboring towns were taken to a valley near the Jesia river, in the vicinity of Garliava, and there forced to dig a pit 80 meters long and 2 meters wide. At the end, after having dug the pit, they were forced to hand over all their money and possessions, stripped of their clothes and shoes and pushed into the pit, where they were murdered by the Germans, assisted by their Lithuanian helpers. The same, or the next day, the women and children were murdered in the same place and buried in a huge mass grave. According to German sources, 73 Jewish men, 113 women and 61 children were murdered in this place between August 28 and September 2, 1941.

The Soviet commission which investigated the Nazi crimes in Lithuania, concluded in 1944, after part of the mass grave was opened, that approximately 400 Jews from Mauruciai, Garliava, Pakuonis, Veiveriai and other small communities of the vicinity were buried in this grave.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Jason Hallgarten

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.