Southern Africa Jewish Genealogy SA-SIG
Wynberg Hebrew Congregation
Wynberg, Cape Town
THIS CONGREGATION IS NOW DEFUNCT
AND THE PREMISES ARE NOT USED AS A
Editor: Dr Saul Issroff
Copyright © 2004-2015 Saul Issroff, Mike Getz, SAfrica SIG
and Jewishgen Inc.
Updated: 22 March 2015
Our thanks for additional information go to Mr Lionel Sher.
FOR ENLARGEMENT, CLICK ON THE IMAGE
South-east corner of Piers Road and Mortimer Road,
Wynberg, Cape Town.
- The Jewish community of Wynberg held its first services in 1896 in premises in Park Road, Wynberg.
- On 26 October 1902 the Wynberg Hebrew Congregation was established at a General Meeting for the purpose of building a Synagogue.
- Its first President was Mr Lewis Kottler.
- High Holy Day services in 1903 and 1904 were held in the Wynberg Town Hall.
- The foundation stone was laid on 2 August 1904 by Rev. A.P. Bender.
- Consecration: 4 June 1905 by Mr Hyman Lieberman, Mayor of Cape Town.
- The Communal Hall was opened on 15 August 1937.
- The Synagogue was enlarged in 1952.
- The then main entrance was partly damaged by a bomb in December 1998.
- The building was purchased by Science of the Soul in 2005 and since then occupied by that organization."
This building detail with a clearly visible Magen David is situated at the corner of Piers Road and Coghill Road, a few hundred yards east from the Wynberg Synagogue. The building was a lodge and was never a synagogue. In 2004 it housed an auctioneering business.