JCR-UK

South West Essex and Settlement Reform Synagogue

Newbury Park, Ilford, Essex

 

              

         
 

Page created: 16 November 2006
Latest revision or update: 27 January 2014

Congregation Data

Name:

South West Essex and Settlement Reform Synagogue

Address:

Oaks Lane, Newbury Park, Ilford, Essex IG2 7PL
(although some services also held at 2 Beaumont Grove, London E1 4NQ)

Formation:

Formed in 1998 by the merger of :

South West Essex Reform Synagogue

Formed in 1956

Settlement Synagogue
(previously St. George's Settlement Synagogue)

Founded in about 1919 by Mr. (later Sir) Basil Henriques and Rose Henrigues.

Former Addresses:

for South West Essex Reform Synagogue (northeast Greater London):

Oaks Lane, Newbury Park, Ilford, Essex (also present address).
Oaks Lane runs north and then east from Eastern Avenue (part of the A12) for about three-quarters of a mile, approximately one-fifth of a mile east of Newbury Park underground station.

Previously of 112 Balfour Road, Ilford, Essex.
Balfour Road is approximately three quarters of a mile south of Oaks Lane, and runs north for about three-quarters of a mile from Cranbrook Road (the A123), opposite Ilford Railway Station.

for Settlement Synagogue (in London's East End):

from 1976:
at Stepney Jewish Day Centre, 2 Beaumont Grove, London E1 4NQ
Beaumont Grove is a short street running south from Mile End Road, just opposite Stepney Green underground station.

from about early 1970's to 1976:
at Brady Centre, Durward Street (formerly Buck Row), London E1 4NQ (according to "Jewish London")
Durward Street east some 1,000 feet from Vallance  Road to Brady Street, parallel with and just to the north of Whitechapel Road.

from 1929 to early 1970's:
at the Bernard Baron Settlement, 33 Berners Street (renamed Henriques Street), London E1.
Henriques Street, named after Sir Basil Henriques, was formerly Berners Street. It ran some 700 feet south from Commercial Road, parallel to Batty Street and Christian Street, to the east, and Back Church Lane, to the west.
Prior to World War II, it was one of the largest non-orthodox congregations in the UK

from about 1919 to 1929:
at Oxford & St George's Settlement and Youth Club, Betts Street, London E1.
The area around Betts Street has been substantially developed and Betts Street, which was about 600 feet long (running south from Cable Street, 300 feet west of Cannon Street Road) is now only about 150 feet, without direct access to Cable Street.

Current Status:

Active

Ritual:

Reform. (The Settlement Synagogue used prayer books specifically written for the congregation.)

Affiliation:

A constituent synagogue of the Movement for Reform Judaism (formerly the Reform Synagogues of Great Britain).
The Settlement Synagogue was affiliated to both the Movement for Reform Judaism (being one of the six founding members in 1942) and to Liberal Judaism (formerly the Union of Liberal and Progressive Synagogues) from about 1925.

Membership Data:

1946 - St George's Settlement Synagogue - 360 families (Jewish Year Book 1947)
1955 - St George's Settlement Synagogue - 740 families (Jewish Year Book 1956)

Local Authority Districts:

Ilford is in the London Borough of Redbridge, created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.

Previously, Ilford was in the Municipal Borough of Ilford (incorporated in 1926, having previously been an urban district from 1894) within the County of Essex.

All the former addresses of the Settlement Synagogue are now in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.

Previously, all such addresses was in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney (established 1900) within the County of London (established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.

Berners Street and Betts Street were in the civil parish of St George in the East (Beaumont Grove was in the civil parish of Mile End Old Town and Durward Street was in the civil parish of Whitechapel). These civil parishes were abolished in 1927 by absorption into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's abolition in 1965).

Registration Districts:

for Ilford addresses:

From 1 July 1939 - Ilford
From 1 April 1965 - London Borough of Redbridge  (which now holds the registers)

for Settlements Synagogue:

From 1 July 1837 - St George in the East
From 1 January 1926 - Stepney
From 1 January 1983 - London Borough of Tower Hamlets (which now holds the registers)

Other Congregation Information


Street Directory of Synagogues in London East End and City of London

Jewish Congregations of the London East End

Jewish Congregations in Greater London (other than East End)

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Redbridge

Greater London home page


List of Reform Synagogues Congregations

List of Liberal Judaism Congregations


Explanation of Terms Used
 
 
 


About JCR-UK   |   JCR-UK home page  |   Contact JCR-UK Webmaster

JGSGB  JewishGen



Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2014 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved