in City of London:
1707 to 1725 (or 1720) - Home of Marcus Moses, Magpie Alley,
1725 (or 1720) to 1893 - Magpie Alley (later Church Passage), Fenchurch Street, London EC3
1893 to 1899 -
Services were held in the vestry room (or hall) of the
Synagogue, Dukes Street (now Dukes Place), London EC3
Fenchurch Street, one of the principal streets of the City of London,
extends about two-fifths of a mike west from Aldgate to Gracechurch
Street. Magpie Alley (later known as Church Passage) was a narrow
passage, close to Fenchurch Street railway station, that run south
towards Crutched Friars, just to the east of present day Fenchurch
1899 to 1936 - Adler Street (formerly Union Street ), Commercial Road,
Aldgate, London E1
(Building consecrated by chief Rabbi Dr. H. Adler on 27 August 1899)
Adler Street, formerly known as Union Street, was renamed after the
former Chief Rabbi, Hermann Adler (1839-1911). It runs south, some 700
feet from Whitechapel High Road to Commercial Road, about 1,000 east of
The locality of Magpie
Alley and Dukes Place are both in the Aldgate Ward of the City of London (within the administrative area
of Greater London since 1 April 1965).
Until the abolition in 1908 of civil parishes in the
City, Magpie Alley was in the parish of St. Katherine Coleman and
Dukes Street was in the parish of St. James Dukes Place.
Adler Street is in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, Adler Street (formerly Union Street) was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) within the County of London (established
1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The southern 500 feet of Union (Adler) Street, which included the Hambro' Synagogue, was in the civil parish of
Mile End Old Town, the
northern 200 feet being in the civil parish of Whitechapel. Both civil
parishes were abolished in 1927 by absorption into Stepney Borough
parish (until that parish's abolition in 1965).
Since 1 July 1837 - City of London
for Adler (Union)
From 1 October 1857
- Mile End Old Town
1 January 1926 - Stepney
1 January 1983 - Tower Hamlets (which now holds the registers)