The western section
of Artillery Lane (the part that was always known as Artillery Lane) is
in the City of London, having been
situated in the former
civil parish of St. Botolph Without Bishopsgate (abolished 1908) in the
Bishopsgate Ward Without.
The central and eastern sections of Artillery Lane (the parts previously
known as Artillery Street and Raven Row) are in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
which was created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
the central and eastern sections of Artillery Lane were in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The middle section of the street (the part formally known as Artillery
Street) was within the historic Liberty of the Old Artillery Ground
and eastern section of the street (the part formally known as Raven Row)
was within the civil parish of Spitalfields, both of which
entities were in the former County of Middlesex until 1889. They were
absorbed into the civil parish of Whitechapel in 1921, remaining
within the Metropolitan Borough of
The civil parish of Whitechapel was itself abolished in 1927, being absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).
1856 to 1900, the Liberty of the Old Artillery Ground and the civil parish of Spitalfields
were both constituents of the Whitechapel District.
Based upon the fact that the congregation's marriage records are
deposited with the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, it would appear that
synagogue was was not situated within the City boundaries.