JCR-UK

Machzikei Hadath v'Shomrei Shabbat Synagogue

(formerly Spitalfields Great Synagogue)

London E.1. & London N.W.11.

 

 

   
 

Page created: 26 October 2006
Latest revision or update: 17 December 2014
 

David Shulman 2013 

The former Machzike Hadath Synagogue, on the corner of Brick Lane and Fournier Street, London E1. Now the Brick Lane Mosque (London Jamme Mashid). December 2013.

Congregation Data

Official Name:

Machzikei Hadath v'Shomrei Shabbat Synagogue

Former Name:

Machzike Hadath Synagogue (or Machzike Adass Synagogue)
[Translation - "Upholders of Faith"]

Former Alternative Name:

Spitalfields Great Synagogue (1898 to 1975)

Developed from:

Machzike Shomrei Shabbat Synagogue (prior to 1893)

Addresses:

London's East End (to 1975)

  • the Spitalfields Great Synagogue at 59 Brick Lane, Spitalfields, London E1  (1898 to about 1975). 

  • Prior to then, in Booth Street, Spitalfields, London E1  (until 1898).

Golders Green (from 1975)

  • 1-4 Highfield Road (at one time 3 Highfield Road), Golders Green, London NW11 9LU (from 1983)

  • Previously, services held at the home of Rabbi Simcha Lopian in Golders Green, London NW11.

Building and Location:

London's East End

Brick Lane extends from Swanfield Street, in Bethnal Green, crossing over  Bethnal Green Road and continuing some one-third of a mile south through Spitalfields to Wentworth Street. For most of its length it runs parallel to Commercial Street (to the east). Brick Lane's continuation to the south, Osborn Street (some 400 feet long), leads into Whitechapel High Street.

The Brick Lane building (on the north-west of corner with Fournier Street) was constructed in 1742-3, began life as the Neuve Eglise, a Huguenot Church.  It was used as a missionary centre in the early 1880's (by the Society for the Promotion of Christianity Amongst the Jews) before becoming the main Wesleyan Methodist Chapel of East London, until its purchase by Machzike Hadath in 1897.  Following its sale, in 1975 it became London Jamme Mashid, then the largest mosque in the East End, used primarily by the Bangladeshi community.

Booth Street (running 500 feet east-west) was the name of what is now the eastern section Princelet Street (from Brick Lane to Spelman Street). It ran parallel to Hanbury Road (to the north) and Heneage Street (to the south).

Golders Green

Highfield Road (some 500 feet long) runs north from Golders Green Road, in Northwest London, approximately a quarter of a mile south-east of the North Circular Road.

Formation:

Machzike Hadath was formed as a society by individual members of  the North London Beth Hamedrash and the Machzike Shomrei Shabbat Synagogue (of Booth Street) .  In February 1893, the Machzike Shomrei Shabbat Synagogue formally joined the society and adopted the name the Machzike Hadath Synagogue.

Current Status:

Active (in Golders Green)

Ritual:

Ashkenazi Orthodox

Affiliation:

Became affiliated to the Federation of Synagogues in 1905

Membership Data:

1905  -  215 members (source)

1915  -  325 members (source)

Local Authority Districts:

East End

London Borough of Tower Hamlets, created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.

Previously, Brick Lane and Booth Street were in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London (established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.

Both Brick Lane and nearly all of Booth Street were also within the civil parish of Spitalfields (which was in the former County of Middlesex until 1889) and which, from 1856 to 1900, was a constituent of the Whitechapel District.

The civil parish of Spitalfields was abolished in 1921, being absorbed into the civil parish of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927 to be absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's abolition in 1965).

Golders Green

London Borough of Barnet, created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.

Previously, Golders Green was in the Municipal Borough of Hendon (which was an urban district until 1932) in the County of Middlesex, both of which entities were abolished in 1965.

Registration Districts:

East End

From 1 July 1837 - Whitechapel
From 1 January 1926 - Stepney
From 1 January 1983 - London Borough of Tower Hamlets (which now holds the registers)

Golders Green

From 1 July 1837 - Hendon
From 1 April 1999 - London Borough of Barnet

Other Congregation Information

  • Synagogue & Other Records: Records:

    • Three marriage registers of the Spitalfields Great Synagogue (first entry 11 June 1905, last entry: 4 August 1971) are deposited with Tower Hamlets Register Office (ref: s46):

      The Board of Deputies may also hold copies of some or all of the registers.

  • Bibliography:

    • A Fortress of Anglo-Jewry. Homa, B. 1953 (Shapiro Valentine)

    • Footprints on the Sands of Time. Homa, B. 1990

    • The Lost Synagogues of London.  pp. 171-172. Renton, P., 2000 (Tymsder Publications, London)

    • The Synagogues of London. Lindsay, P. 1993 (Vallentine Mitchell) pp. 49-51

    • The Jewish East End, Then and Now, pp. 28-9, Aumie and Michael Shapiro, 1994.

    • Jewish Heritage in En, pp. 12-13. Sharman Kadish. 2006

    • other Tower Hamlet sourcest sources

    • Barnet sources

    • other London sources

  • Cemetery Information:


Street Directory of Synagogues in East End and City of London

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Barnet

Jewish Congregations of the London East End

Jewish Congregations in Greater London (other than East End)

Greater London home page

List of Federation of Synagogues Congregations


Explanation of Terms Used

 

 
 

 

About JCR-UK   |   JCR-UK home page  |   Contact JCR-UK Webmaster

JGSGB  JewishGen



Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.


Copyright © 2002 - 2014 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved