Great Alie Street, London E1,
formerly at St. Mark's Street, London E1.
Alie Street extends east-west on both sides of Lemen Street, in London's
East End. The western (600 feet) section was known as Great Alie Street
and the eastern (400 feet) section was known as Little Alie Street. It is
situated about 300 feet south of the junction of Whitechapel High Street
and Commercial Road.
Mark's Street, now known as St. Mark Street (the northern 150 feet
stretch of which was previously known as Alie Place) runs south 700 feet
from (Great) Alie Street to Prescott Street (formerly Great Prescott
congregation does not appear to be listed in the first (1896-1897) and
subsequent Jewish Year Books. There is evidence that indicates that the
congregation existed until at least 1922. The Jewish Chronicle obituary
of Rabbi Israel Dainow appeared in the Jewish Chronicle of 17 March
1922. The Obituary states that Rabbi Dainow arrived in London in 1877,
and after duties as a maggid, he was appointed Rav. of the Kalischer
Synagogue, which position he held for 35 years. Also, according to Ron
Altshul, a great-grandson of Rabbi Dainow, the ketubah of Rabbi
Dainow's daughter, Raysa, on her marriage to Rav. Morris Altshul, states
that the marriage was performed at the Kalischer Synagogue in 1898.
However, the congregation may have merged into or changed its name to
the Great Alie Street Synagogue.
Alie Street and St Mark
Street are now in now the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Alie Street (both Great and Little) and St Mark's Street and Alie Place were in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
These street were also within the civil parish of Whitechapel (which was in the
former County of Middlesex until 1889) and which, from 1856 to 1900, was
a constituent of the Whitechapel District.
The civil parish of Whitechapel was abolished in 1927, being absorbed
into Stepney Borough parish, which itself was abolished in 1965.