Other Congregations with same name:
congregations had also been known as the Fashion Street Synagogue,
Chevra Mikrah (until 1898); and
Chevra Bikkur Cholim (until
Fashion Street, London E1.
According to Daniel Appleby - "Service and Scandal: the life and times of an immigrant Jewish Clergyman",
p. 87, this was at No. 45, previously the address of the
Yanover Synagogue. However, the
Jewish Year Book 1906 gives the address of the Fashion Street Synagogue
as "New Court" Fashion Street.
(Location: Fashion Street (some 600
feet long), in London's East End, runs east from Commercial Street to
Brick Lane, parallel with Fournier Street, 300 feet to the north. Flower
& Dean Street used to run parallel 200 feet to the south but this no
Fashion Street takes its
name from the Huguenot family, Fossan, who developed this area.)
Affiliated with the
Federation of Synagogues.
In December 1905, the
board minutes of the Federation approved admission of the Fashion Street
Synagogue (Daniel Appleby - "Service and Scandal: the life and times of an immigrant Jewish Clergyman",
p. 87). This was some years after the earlier congregations bearing this
name had merged with other synagogues.
Fashion Street is in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Fashion Street was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The locality was also
within the civil parish of Spitalfields, which was abolished in 1921, being absorbed
into the civil parish of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927
to be absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).